Angela Merkel Current Affairs
Prime Minister Narendra Modi was placed at 9th position among 74 of the world’s most powerful people list released by the Forbes Magazine.
The list gives the annual ranking of the World’s Most Powerful People on the basis of their financial resources, scope and use of power and the number of people they impact.
- 2016 edition of the list was topped by Russian President Vladimir Putin. This is for fourth consecutive year Putin has topped the list.
- The first billionaire President of the United States was ranked second in the list. In the 2015 edition of the list he was placed 72. Outgoing US President Barack Obama dropped from 2 to 48.
- German Chancellor and backbone of the European Union Angela Merkel was ranked 3rd. She continues her reign as the most powerful woman on the planet for consecutive 11 years.
- New names in list: Theresa May (#13), Travis Kalanick (#64), Bob Iger (#67), Mike Pence (#69); Rodrigo Duterte (#70), Sheldon Adelson (#72), Antonio Guterres (#36) and Recep Erdogan (#56).
- Other Indian’s in the list: Reliance Industries Chairman Mukesh Ambani (#38), Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella (#51).
10 most powerful people in the world
|1||Vladimir Putin||President of Russia|
|2||Donald Trump||President of US|
|3||Angela Merkel||Chancellor of Germany|
|4||Xi Jinping||President of China|
|5||Pope Francis||Pope of Roman Catholic Church, Vatican City|
|6||Janet Yellen||Chairperson of US Federal Reserve|
|7||Bill Gates||Chairman of Bill & Melinda Foundation|
|8||Larry Page||Founder of Google|
|9||Narendra Modi||Prime Minister of India|
|10||Mark Zuckerberg||Cofounder of Facebook|
|Indian’s in the list|
|38||Mukesh Ambani||Chairman of Reliance Industries|
|51||Satya Nadella||Microsoft CEO|
About Forbes list of World’s Most Powerful People
The list of World’s Most Powerful People started in 2009 by Forbes magazine. Since then annually published. The list has one slot for person or leader for every 100 million people on Earth. These slots are allocated based on the amount of human and financial resources as well as their influence on world events. It that in 2011 there were 70, and in 2012 there were 71 slots. Similarly in 2016 it has 74 slots.
Time magazine has named German Chancellor Angela Merkel as Person of the Year 2015.
She was named for her role in Europe’s crises over migration and Greek debt as she had provided steadfast moral leadership in a world where it is in short supply.
With this, Merkel became only the 4th woman since 1927 to be named winner and the first women to feature in 29 years. The other women three women to win are Wallis Simpson (1936), Queen Elizabeth II (1952) and Corazon Aquino (1986).
Islamic State (IS) leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi was named runner-up and US Presidential hopeful Donald Trump was placed .
About Angela Merkel
- Angela Merkel (full name- Angela Dorothea Kasner) was born on 17 July 1954 in Hamburg, West Germany.
- She is trained as a physicist and had entered politics after the 1989 fall of the Berlin Wall.
- In 2005 national elections, Merkel became Germany’s first female chancellor, and one of the leading figures of the European Union.
- Prior to entering into politics, she was working as research scientist. She was elected as first women Chancellor of Germany in 2005 and since then is in office.
Time Magazine’s ‘Person of the Year’ title
It is an annual honour that has been bestowed by the magazine. It was started in 1927. Every year it is announced in the month of December. It is given to person who is most influenced in the news during the year and is chosen for better or worse cases in the news.