Anita Gopalan Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Translator and artist Anita Gopalan was awarded the 2016 PEN/Heim Translation Fund Grants for her English translation of Hindi novel Simsim written by Geet Chaturvedi.
Gopalan is the second Indian translator to be selected for the grant. She will be honoured at the 2017 PEN Literary Awards Ceremony in New York in February 2017.
Novel Simsim: It narrates the clash between two Indias’, i.e. one old and traditional and the other modern and new driven by consumerism and corporate greed. It was published in 2008 and is recognized for its groundbreaking contribution to contemporary Hindi fiction.
About Anita Gopalan
- Anita Gopalan is an artist and translator.
- She had graduated in Computer Science and Mathematics from Birla Institute of Technology and Science (BITS) Pilani.
- Prior to her writing and translator career, she had worked in the banking technology sector for over 14 years.
About PEN/Heim Translation Fund Grants
- The fund grants were established by PEN American Centre in 2003.
- It was renamed from earlier PEN Translation Fund Grants in honour of noted literary translator Michael Henry Heim.
- The Grants’ seeks to promote the reception and publication of translated world literature in English.
- They are awarded annually to a select number of literary translators based on quality of translation and importance of the original work as well as its originality.