Antonio Guterres Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Denmark’s Inger Andersen recently took charge as the new Executive Director (ED) of United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP). She will hold the designation for period of 4-years.
About Inger Andersen
Inger is a Danish economist and environmentalist with over 30 years of experience in international development economics, environmental sustainability and policy-making. Now as ED of UNEP she brings to the role a passion for conservation and sustainable development.
Nomination: She was nominated for the ED post by United Nation’s Secretary-General (UNSG) Antonio Guterres and approved by UN General Assembly (UNGA) in February 2019.
Succeeded: She took over the charge from Joyce Msuya of Tanzania, who served as acting head of UNEP since late 2018. Msuya will now continue as Deputy Executive Director.
IUCN- She has served as Director General of International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) between January 2015 and May 2019.
World Bank– Before joining IUCN, she held various leadership roles at World Bank (WB) such as- served as WB’s Vice President of Middle East and North Africa (MENA), Vice President for Sustainable Development and Head of Consortium of International Agricultural Research Centers Fund Council (IARCFC).
Even before joining World Bank, she worked at the UN for over 12 years.
About UN Environment Programme
It was founded by Maurice Strong (UNEP’s 1st director) and was established as a result of United Nations Conference on Human Environment (or the Stockholm Conference) on 5 June 1972.
It is headquartered in Nairobi (capital of Kenya) and also has 6 regional offices and various country offices.
Function: It is a UN agency that provides leadership and encourages partnership in caring for environment and is also responsible for coordinating UN’s environmental activities, assisting developing countries in implementing environmentally sound policies and practices.
Tags: Antonio Guterres • Inger Andersen • International Union for Conservation of Nature • IUCN • Joyce Msuya • Maurice Strong • Stockholm Conference • UN Environment Programme • UN General Assembly • UNEP Executive Director • United Nations Conference on Human Environment • United Nations Environment Programme • United Nations Secretary-General • World Bank
United Nations Secretary-General (UNSG) Antonio Guterres recently appointed Indian-origin Anita Bhatia as Deputy Executive Director of United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women (UN-Women) for Resource Management, Sustainability and Partnerships.
- Earlier Lakshmi Puri, Veteran Indian diplomat and a gender equality champion had served as Assistant Secretary-General of the United Nations and Deputy Executive Director of UN Women.
- The key appointment comes less than a week after Antonio Guterres appointed Lieutenant General Shailesh Tinaikar an Indian Army officer as new Force Commander of the UN Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS ).
About Anita Bhatia
- She is a veteran in strategic partnerships, resource mobilisation and management.
- She has had a distinguished career at World Bank (WB) Group, has served in various senior leadership and management positions, both at the headquarters (Washington, D.C., United States) and in the field.
About UN Women
- The United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women (UN-Women) is the UN’s agency focused on women empowerment and gender equality.
- Background: It was established in July 2010 by the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) and is headquartered in New York City, United States. It became operational in January 2011.
- Objective: UN Women is a global champion for women and girls which seeks to accelerate progress on meeting their needs worldwide.
- Function: It works globally to make vision of the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) a reality for women and girls and stands behind women’s equal participation in all aspects of life.
Tags: Anita Bhatia • Antonio Guterres • Lakshmi Puri • SDG • Shailesh Tinaikar • Sustainable Development Goals • UN Mission in South Sudan • UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres • UN Women • UNGS • United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Wome • United Nations General Assembly • United Nations Secretary-General • UNMISS • UNSG • World Bank