Indian Railways has unveiled Antyodaya Express, a new train for the unreserved passengers. It was unveiled by Union Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu in New Delhi’s Safdarjang station.
The first Antyodaya Express is slated to start between Mumbai (Maharashtra) and Tatanagar (Jharkhand) and second between Ernakulam and Howrah.
Key Features of Antyodaya Express
- The facilities provided in Antyodaya coaches are similar in first class coaches in line with purpose of antyodaya which means upliftment of Aam Aadmi (common man).
- The coaches of train are fully unreserved LHB (Linke Hofmann Busch) second class coaches with additional safety features manufactured at the Integral Coach Factory (ICF) in Chennai.
- The interior panelling of the coaches has been done with aluminium composite panels, similar to Deen Dayalu Express introduced in mid-2016.
- It boasts of modern amenities such as water purifiers, toilet occupation indication display, fire extinguishers with anti-theft arrangement, cushioned luggage racks, bio-toilets, LED lights, mobile charging points etc.
- The exterior of the train has been given the colour scheme of red and yellow, with a design around the windows of the coaches and has pleasing interior colour scheme.
- The fares of the Antyodaya Express will reportedly be around 10-15% higher than the regular rate as it aims to provide enhanced passenger comfort.