APMCHUD Current Affairs - 2020
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
The sixth edition of Asia Pacific Ministerial Conference on Housing and Urban Development (APMCHUD) held in New Delhi has adopted New Delhi declaration to adopt Urban Plus approach.
This was the first such meeting held to discuss ways of realising the New Urban Agenda that was finalised during the UN Conference on Housing and Sustainable Urban Development (also known as “Habitat III” conference) held in Quito, Ecuador in October 2016. Its theme of conference was ‘Emerging Urban Forms-Policy Reforms and Governance Structures in the Context of New Urban Agenda’. It was attained by representatives of Asia Pacific countries that account for over 55% of global urban population. It adopted Implementation Plan and New Delhi Declaration. The next biennial APMCHUD Conference will be hosted by Iran in 2018.
New Delhi Declaration
- Strongly advocated planning for urban and adjoining rural areas in an integrated manner instead of looking at them as independent entities.
- Called for thorough review of existing policies and formulation of new policies to promote New Urban Agenda adopted at UN Habitat III Conference in Quito, Eucador in October 2016.
- It stressed on the need for effective governance structures in urban areas noting that governance as the key to sustainable development.
Implementation Plan Recommends
- Formulation of National Human Settlement Policies to promote inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable city and human settlements.
- Land regulation policy mechanisms such as land pooling to ensure inclusive and participatory planning, integration of land use and transportation planning across defined boundaries of cities.
- Enforcement and incentivasation of timely execution of infrastructure projects, formulation of comprehensive urban parking policies and community participation in urban planning.
- Adopt urban resilience as criteria for investment to withstand and absorb disasters and shocks and maintain normal services and quickly return to normalcy.
For background: 2016 APMCHUD
Tags: APMCHUD • Events • National • New Delhi Declaration • UN Habitat III Conference
The sixth edition of Asia Pacific Ministerial Conference on Housing and Urban Development (APMCHUD) began in New Delhi. It was inaugurated by Union Urban Development Minister M Venkaiah Naidu.
The three days conference seeks to address issues ranging from crowded city centres to peripheral expansion, metropolitan based urban population growth, megacities and urban corridors etc.
- In this conference ministers and senior officials from 68 countries in the Asia-Pacific region are expected to deliberate on challenges of urban planning and management.
- It will adopt Delhi Declaration and implementation plan for aligning urban development strategies of member countries with New Urban Agenda adopted at Quito, Eucador.
- During the conference, five working groups will deliberate on different sub-themes like Integrated Planning, Management and Governance Structures.
- They will also be ensuring sustainable and natural disaster resilient urban development including climate change.
- The conference assumes significance considering that Asia Pacific Region accounts for 60% of the world population and 55% of global urban population.
About New Urban Agenda
- It was adopted at the UN Conference on Housing and Sustainable Urban Development (also known as “Habitat III” conference) held in Quito, Ecuador.
- It sets the global vision of sustainable urbanization for the next 20 years. It is a set of 175 commitments that countries need to adhere to tackle challenges of urbanization.
- It is considered as roadmap for building cities that can serve as engines of prosperity and centres of social and cultural well-being while protecting the environment.
- It provides guidance for achieving the Sustainable Development Goals and provides the underpinning for actions to address climate change.
APMCHUD is an intergovernmental mechanism for collaboration and cooperation in the field of housing and development among Asia Pacific countries. It was established under the aegis and support of UN-Habitat. It is consultative mechanism on the promotion of sustainable development of housing and urban development in Asia-Pacific region.
Tags: APMCHUD • Asia-Pacific • Events • Housing • National