Appointment Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Shri Harsh Vardhan Shringla has been appointed as the Ambassador of India to the USA on 20th December 2018. Presently, Mr. Shringla is serving as the High Commissioner to the People’s Republic of Bangladesh and will take up the assignment soon. He will be succeeding Navtej Sarna as the ambassador to the United States of America.
About Harsh Vardhan Shringla
- Harsh Vardhan Shringla is a 1984-batch Indian Foreign Service diplomat.
- His diplomatic career spans over 30 years in which he has held various positions in New Delhi and in Indian missions in Paris, Hanoi and Tel Aviv.
- Before being appointed as the ambassador to the US, he has served as the high commissioner in Bangladesh, ambassador of India to the Kingdom of Thailand and Permanent Representative of India to UNESCAP.
- In the Ministry of External Affairs, he has headed the United Nations Political and SAARC Divisions.
Riva Ganguly Das, who is presently the Director General of Indian Council for Cultural Relations will take the position of High Commissioner to Bangladesh.
The Union government has appointed advocate Madhavi Goradia Divan as the Additional Solicitor General (ASG) in the government of India. She will hold office of ASG till 30 June, 2020 and will appear in the Supreme Court on behalf of the government of India.
She is the third woman to hold the post of ASG. Senior advocate Indira Jaising was the first woman in India to become ASG. Pinky Anand was the second woman and she still holds the post.
About Madhavi Divan:
- Madhavi Divan began her legal career from the Bombay High Court.
- She has represented the states of Madhya Pradesh and Gujarat in judicial proceedings.
- She is married to Senior Advocate Shyam Divan, who recently appeared in the right to privacy case as a lawyer for the petitioners.
- She played a great role in getting Triple Talaq getting criminalised by the Supreme Court of India.
- Also, she advocated against giving the death penalty by the courts for the rape of minor victims.
The Additional Solicitor General of India, also known as the ASG, is the third-ranked law-officer in the Indian government. The post of ASG is not constitutional as the constitution does not have any provisions regarding this. The seat of the Additional Solicitor-General of India may be at New Delhi or Mumbai or Chennai or Allahabad as the Government of India specifies.