Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Wildlife SOS in collaboration with Uttar Pradesh (UP) Forest Department and Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) is launching Jackal Research & Translocation Project in UP.
Under this project, study and translocation of 30-35 wild jackals from Akbar’s Tomb in Sikandra, Agra to safe natural habitat will be undertaken.
Jackal Translocation Project
- It seeks to protect Blackbuck (Antilope cervicapra) population in Akbar’s tomb as well as jackals.
- Recent surveys have shown that jackal population has increased inside the Akbars tomb premises.
- It had resulted in decrease in population of Blackbuck’s as jackals were preying on the young fawn of the black bucks.
- This project will help to reduce unnatural proximity between these two species by translocating jackal to other safe natural habitat and save almost 100 blackbucks.
Sun Temple at Konark, Odhisa has been the coveted with Adarsh Monument tag by the Archaeological Survey of India (ASI).
Along with Sun Temple, three other monuments of eastern India were given Adarsh Monument tag. They are
- Hazarduari Palace in Murshidabad district of West Bengal.
- Vaishali-Kolhua in Bihar.
- Rang Ghar in Sibsagar (Sivasagar) district of Assam.
At present, 25 out of 3,680 protected monuments in India have been selected under the Adarsh Smarak Yojana.
It includes monuments like Taj Mahal, Khajuraho, Qutab Minar and Red Fort which have highest number of tourists visiting them.
By awarding this monument Adarsh Monument tag, Central government gives them special attention in order to boost international tourism.
Under Adarsh Smarak Yojana, ASI provides amenities of international standards like washrooms, drinking water, signs, cafeteria, audiovisual centres, Wi-Fi connectivity, interpretation centres and encroachment-free areas around these monuments.
Konark SunTemple: It is a 13th century temple of Odisha, built by Narasimhadeva I of the Eastern Ganga Dynasty. It is also known as Black Pagoda.
It’s a World Heritage Site. It is considered as architectural marvel for which Odisha, best known worldwide.