ARIES Current Affairs
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Asia’s largest and first of its kind optical telescope Aryabhatta Research Institute of Observational Sciences (ARIES) was unveiled at Devasthal in Nainital District, Uttrakahnd.
It was remotely activated by Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his Belgian counterpart Charles Michel from Belgium.
- Aries telescope was joint collaborative technological effort between Indian and Belgian scientists.
- Location: It has been located at a height of 2,500 metres at Devasthal in Nainital district. The site was chosen for getting a clear view of the sky.
- Features: The ARIES optical telescope has mirror of 3.6 m diameter.
- The telescope facility has been incorporated with high end technology which enables it to be operated with the help of remote control from anywhere in the world.
- Applications: It will help in the study and exploration of planets, starts, magnetic field and astronomical debris. It will also help research of star structures and magnetic field structures of stars.
The ARIES telescope has been a joint international effort between Indian, Russian and Belgian scientist. In March 2007 ARIES and Belgian company Advanced Mechanical and Optical Systems (AMOS) had entered a contract for design, manufacture, integration, testing, supply and installation of the telescope. Belgium also had funded 7 per cent of the project whose total cost is estimated to be more than 120 crore rupees.