Art and Culture Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
China has opened 2nd land border crossing in Tibet via Nathu La, Sikkim to allow the Indian pilgrims for Kailash-Mansarovar yatra.
The new route is in addition and alternative to the existing Lipulekh Pass route located in Uttarakhand which was only route earlier. This route was damaged in the devastating Uttarakhand floods in 2013.
The border crossing at Nathu La is located 4,000 metres above sea level. This route will facilitate comfortable travel for Indian pilgrims by buses compared to previous route.
By this route, pilgrims will be travel by bus to Shigatse in the Tibet Autonomous Region, around 1500 kms away from Nathula to reach their ultimate destination the Kailash–Mansarovar.
It should be noted that the opening of this route was officially announced during Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s visit to China in May 2015.
One of the foremost south Indian classical vocalists, Sanjay Subrahmanyam has been selected for the ‘Sangita Kalanidhi’ award 2015.
It will be bestowed upon him when he will preside over the 89th annual conference of the Academy which will be held between December 15, 2015 and January 1, 2016.
With this, he is seventh artistes to be conferred with the award before completing 50 years of age. Others are Ariyakudi Ramanuja Iyengar, Maharajapuram Viswanatha Iyer, Musiri Subramania Iyer, G.N. Balasubramaniam, Semmangudi R. Srinivasa Iyer, M.L. Vasanthakumari and M. Balamuralikrishna
About Sanjay Subrahmanyam
- He had started performing Carnatic music from 1987.
- By profession he is Charted Accountant but in 2000 became full-time musician.
- Awards: Gaana Padhmam (2013), Vani Kala Sudhakara (2010) and the title Kalaimamani by Tamil Nadu Government (2006) etc.
About Sangita Kalanidhi award/title
- It is a prestigious award bestowed annually upon an expert of Carnatic Music by the Madras Music Academy.
- The award’s name has been derived from Sanskrit which means treasure of Music and art in English.
- This honour is considered one of the highest awards in Carnatic music.