Article 324 Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
The President has appointed Sushil Chandra as the new Election Commissioner. Sushil Chandra’s appointment fills the vacancy caused after the retirement of O.P. Rawat, as Chief Election Commissioner (CEC). Sushil Chandra will join other two members of the Commission, Chief Election Commissioner (CEC) Sunil Arora and Election Commissioner (EC) Ashok Lavasa. The appointment was made under the clause (2) of Article 324 of the constitution.
Clause (2) of Article 324
The Election Commission shall consist of the Chief Election Commissioner and such number of other Election Commissioners, if any, as the President may from time to time fix. The appointment of the Chief Election Commissioner and other Election Commissioners shall, subject to the provisions of any law made in that behalf by Parliament be made by the President.
The President appoints the Election Commissioner based on the recommendations of the cabinet under the Transaction of Business Rules of 1961.
Sushil Chandra is currently serving as the chairman of the Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT). He is the second Indian Revenue Service (IRS) officer to be appointed to the Commission after T.S. Krishnamurthy, who went on to become the CEC in 2004.
Sushil Chandra is a B. Tech from IIT Roorkee and who also holds a law degree. He joined the Revenue Service in 1980. He has served as Commissioner of Income Tax (Appeals) International Taxation in Delhi, Director of Investigation, Mumbai and Director General Investigation, Gujarat.
Dr Nasim Zaidi on 19 April 2015 assumed the charge as Chief Election Commissioner (CEC). He is India’s 20th CEC and succeeded Hari Shankar Brahma, who had retired on April 18, 2015.
At present, Dr Zaidi will be the sole member of the three-member Election Commission till the government fills up the two vacant posts of election commissioners.
Dr Zaidi will have tenure of two years i.e. till he attains the age of 65 in July 2017.
About Dr. Nasim Zaidi
- Nasim Zaidi is a 1976 batch IAS officer from the Uttar Pradesh cadre.
- He had served as the Director General of Civil Aviation (DGCA).
- He had retired from IAS as Secretary to the Union Government in Ministry of Civil Aviation in July 2012.
About Chief Election Commissioner (CEC)
- As per the provisions of Article 324 of Constitution, Chief Election Commissioner and Election Commissioners are appointed by the President.
- They hold office for the term of 6 years or until they attain age of 65 years, whichever is earlier.
- The Chief Election Commissioner can be removed from office only through impeachment by Parliament.