Arun Jaitley Current Affairs - 2020
The Government of India has been renaming the national institutes after late ministers. The leaders passed away in 2019 due to health issues. They were Manohar Parrikar, Arun Jaitley and Sushma Swaraj.
Objective of renaming
The renaming is being done in order to align the institutes on the lines of the vision of the late leaders.
Parrikar served as the Minister of Defence between 2014 and 2017. The Institute of Defence and Analyses (IDSA) has been renamed as Manohar Parrikar Institute of Defence Studies. His biggest contribution was the One Rank One Pension scheme for the armed forces.
The IDSA was established in 1965. It was established for policy related studies in all aspects of defence and security.
Sushma Swaraj served as the Minister of External Affairs. The Pravasi Bharatiya Kendra in New Delhi was renamed as Sushma Swaraj Bhawan and also the Foreign Institute in New Delhi was renamed as Sushma Swaraj Institute of Foreign Services.
Arun Jaitley served as the finance minister. The National Institute of Financial Management was renamed as Arun Jaitley National Institute of Financial Management. Also, in September 2019, the Delhi Ferozeshah Kotla Cricket ground was renamed as Arun Jaitley Stadium.
Tags: Arun Jaitley • Defence Minister • Education • External Affairs Minister • Finance Minister
Thawarchand Gehlot, Union Minister of Social Justice and Empowerment was recently appointed as Leader of Rajya Sabha (Council of States). The Leader of the Rajya Sabha is appointed by the party in power at Centre.
This position was occupied by senior BJP leader and former Union Finance Minister, Arun Jaitley in previous Narendra Modi-led government (2014-2019).
About Thawarchand Gehlot
- The 71-year-old Gehlot, is leader from Madhya Pradesh has almost four decades of legislative experience.
- Apart from being an experienced parliamentarian, he is a member & general secretary of ruling Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP).
- He belongs to Scheduled Caste and is a Dalit face of saffron party.
- He has been a member of state legislative assembly for several terms and has also served in Lok Sabha as well as Rajya Sabha.
- He became a Rajya Sabha member in 2012 and was re-elected to Rajya Sabha from Madhya Pradesh in 2018. This new term of his will end in 2024. A member to Upper House of Parliament has a term of 6 years.
Leader of Rajya Sabha (Upper House of Parliament)
- A Leader of House is a Rajya Sabha member who either holds a rank of cabinet minister or another nominated minister. The Leader has a seat next to ex-officio Chairperson of Rajya Sabha (the Vice President of India), in the front row.
- The term Leader of the House has been defined in Rule 2(1) of Rules of Procedure and Conduct of Business in the Rajya Sabha.
- Gopalaswami Ayyangar was the 1st Leader of the House in Rajya Sabha.