Arunachal Pradesh Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
The Chief Minister of Arunachal Pradesh, Pema Khandu inaugurated India’s longest single-lane steel cable suspension bridge over Siang River in Upper Siang district of Arunachal Pradesh.
Key Facts about the Bridge
The important Facts about the Bridge are:
- The bridge is 300-metre-long and is also known as byorung bridge.
- The bridge will reduce the distance between Yingkiong and Tuting in Arunachal Pradesh by almost 40 km.
- The bridge was constructed under the non-lapsable central pool of resources (NLCPR) of Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region at a cost of Rs 48.43 crore.
- The bridge would help the movement of people residing on both sides of the river bank. The bridge would be of great help to around 20,000 people on living on both sides of the Siang river.
- The bridge will also bolster defense preparedness and facilitate the army in their operations.
The Siang River is considered as lifeline of Arunachal Pradesh. The Tsangpo river originates in the Angsi Glacier in the Himalayas. The river enters India through Arunachal Pradesh where it is called by name Siang. The river is also called as Dihang in the plain regions. As the river flows through the plains it is joined by the rivers Dibang and Lohit. Downstream of the confluence of Lohit, the river is called by name Brahmaputra.
Tags: Angsi Glacier • Arunachal Pradesh • Brahmaputra • byorung bridge • Dibang • Dihang • India’s longest single-lane steel cable suspension bridge • Lohit • Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region • Pema Khandu • Siang River • Tuting • Yingkiong
The Union cabinet meeting chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi has approved the bill to amend the ST list of Arunachal Pradesh. The bill Constitution (Scheduled Tribes) Order (Amendment) Bill, 2018 will now be introduced in the parliament for seeking the approval.
Amendment to the ST list of Arunachal Pradesh
The amendment bill Constitution (Scheduled Tribes) Order (Amendment) Bill, 2018 aims to make following changes in the schedule tribes list of Arunachal Pradesh:
- The ‘Nocte’, ‘Tangsa’, Tutsa’, ‘Wancho’ would be included in lieu of ‘Any Naga Tribes’ in serial No. 10 in the list of ST of Arunachal Pradesh.
- Deletion of ‘Abor’ in serial No. 1, as it is the same as ‘Adi’ in Serial No. 16.
- Replacing Tai Khamti’ instead of ‘Khampti’ at serial No. 6.
- Inclusion of ‘Mishmi-Kaman’ (Miju Mishmi), Idu (Mishmi) and Taraon (Digaru Mishmi) in serial No. 8.
- Inclusion of Monpa, Memba, Sartang, Sajolong (Miji) in serial No. 9 in lieu of ‘Momba’.
Procedure to amend the ST list
Under the article 342 (1) of the Constitution of India, the President of India was empowered to specify, the castes, races, tribes or parts of groups within castes or races, which shall be deemed to be Scheduled Tribes in relation to that State or Union territory. Thereafter to amend the ST list, a law must be passed by the Parliament.