Ashok Leyland Current Affairs
Conglomerate Hinduja Group’s flagship company Ashok Leyland has unveiled country’s first 100 per cent indigenously made electric bus which are non-polluting and have zero-emissions.
These buses were unveiled in lines with National Electric Mobility Plan which aims at a 20% penetration of electric/hybrid (eco-friendly) vehicles by 2020. They enjoy a subsidy under the Central government’s Faster Adoption and Manufacturing of (Hybrid) and Electric Vehicles (FAME) scheme.
- These electric buses will be offered on multiple platforms and have seating capacity ranging from 35 to 65. They can travel 150 km on a single charge.
- They have been integrated with a fire detection and suppression system. They are built on mass-market platform that will enable operator to cater to customers in city centres with minimal operational and maintenance costs.
- These buses can be used in heritage sites, metro stations, tarmacs, rural areas, hill stations and by IT firms and educational institutions.
- Besides, state Transport Undertakings can also use them for environment friendly mass public transportation.
In India, electric buses in future will have a big leap in mass public transport. It would support the government initiative of reducing fuel import bill. Besides, it will help to curb air pollution as these buses have zero tailpipe emissions and lower noise pollution.
What is National Electric Mobility Mission Plan (NEMMP) 2020?
- The NEMMP 2020 is one of most ambitious initiatives undertaken by Central Government to promote hybrid and electric vehicles in the country to achieve national fuel security.
- It has set an ambitious target to achieve 6-7 million sales of hybrid and electric vehicles year on year from 2020 onwards.
- The FAME India Scheme was launched under this mission to provide fiscal and monetary incentives to electric and hybrid vehicles ranging from two wheelers to buses.