Asian Football Confederation Current Affairs - 2020
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Indian men’s football team captain Sunil Chhetri and women’s footballer Ashalata Devi have bagged top honours at All India Football Federation (AIFF) 2018-19 awards. Chhetri was named as Men’s footballer of the year, while Ashalata Devi won the Women’s footballer of the year title.
Sunil Chhetri: He is Indian captain and skipper, who scored a brace in India’s loss to Tajikistan in opening match of Intercontinental Cup 2019. He won AIFF award for 3rd consecutive year and for a record-extending 6th time (2007, 2011, 2013, 2014 and 2017). With 70 goals for India, he is also the 2nd-highest active international scorer only behind Cristiano Ronaldo of Portugal. He currently plays for Bengaluru FC in Indian Super League (ISL).
Other Awardees are as follows:
AIFF Emerging Men’s Footballer of Year 2018-19: Sahal Abdul Samad (from Kerala)
AIFF Emerging Women’s Footballer of Year 2018-19: Dangmei Grace (from Manipur)
AIFF Award for Best Referee: R Venkatesh (from Tamil Nadu)
AIFF Award for the Best Assistant Referee: Joseph Tony (from Karnatak)a
Best Grassroots Development Programme: Jammu & Kashmir (J&K) Football Association
About AIFF Awards
AIFF Player of Year has been awarded by All India Football Federation since 1992.
It is an annual association football award presented to best footballer in India.
AIFF is governing body of football association in India sicne its inception in 1937. It was one of founding members of Asian Football Confederation, which is overseer of football in Asia.
Tags: AIFF Awards • AIFF Emerging Men’s Footballer of Year • AIFF Player of Year • Ashalata Devi • Asian Football Confederation
The Asian Football Confederation (AFC) recently announced that for the first time in history an all-female referee team will take charge of a Men’s Continental Club Cup clash.
- For the first time in AFC history, three Japanese female referees namely Naomi Teshirogi, Mokoto Bozono and Yoshimi Yamashita will officiate a men’s AFC Cup match.
- The trio will also be among 12 officials from the AFC to officiate the FIFA Women’s World Cup in June 2019.
- The AFC Cup match officiated by them will be between Naga World (Cambodia’s team) and Yangon United (Myanmar’s team) at the Thuwunna Stadium in Yangon, Myanmar (Burma).
- Importance: In past Women officials were only employed as assistant referees in AFC Cup matches. It was in 2014 when Australians Alysson Flynn and Sarah Ho became first female assistant referees in AFC Cup matches. This new decision by club marks a new milestone in Asian refereeing.
About The AFC Cup
- It is an International association football competition. It was founded in 2004.
- It is held annually between different domestic clubs run by Asian Football Confederation (AFC). Every year around 36 teams participate in competition.
- It is second-string (means second choice) Asian club competition, just one position below AFC Champions League.
- The AFC Cup 2019 is the 16th edition of AFC Cup.
Tags: AFC • AFC Cup 2019 • Alysson Flynn • Asian Club Competition • Asian Football Confederation