Assam Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
The Union Government has announced the expansion of rotavirus vaccine in five additional states under Universal Immunisation Programme (UIP). They are Assam, Tripura, Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan and Tamil Nadu.
The announcement comes after 38 lakh children were vaccinated when the vaccine was first introduced in four states – Haryana, Himachal Pradesh, Andhra Pradesh and Odisha.
- The rotavirus is one of the most common causes of severe diarrhoea in children less than 2 years of age. It is one of the biggest killers in children in India.
- It is responsible for nearly 78,000 deaths, 32 lakh out-patient visits and nearly 9 lakh hospitalizations every year.
- The vaccine will prevent Rotavirus diarrhoea in children which accounts for approximately 40% of hospitalizations from diarrhoea in India.
- Rotavirus vaccine supplemented by proper sanitation, hand washing practices, ORS and zinc supplementation will go a long way in reducing the mortality and morbidity due to diarrhoea in children.
- The Rotavirus is a genus of double-stranded RNA virus in the family Reoviridae.
- It most common causative agent of moderate-to-severe diarrhoea (MSD) among infants below 11 months age group and death among children less than five years of age.
- Transmission: The virus spreads from person to person due to bacterial and parasiting agents that are primarily transmitted through contaminated food or water.
- Impact on Health: It causes gastroenteritis after it damages the cells that line the small intestine and causes gastroenteritis. In some cases in causes malnutrition, delayed physical and mental development among children.
About Universal Immunisation Programme (UIP)
The UIP provide free of cost vaccines to all children across the country to protect them against 11 life threatening diseases. These 11 diseases are Tuberculosis, Pertussis, Diphtheria, Tetanus, Hepatitis B, Polio, Pneumonia and Meningitis due to Haemophilus Influenzae type b (Hib), Measles, Rubella, Rotavirus diarrhoea and Japanese Encephalitis (JE). (Rubella, JE and Rotavirus vaccine are given in select states and districts). It is the largest birth cohort in the world vaccinating around 26 million children annually.
Assam Government has launched Chief Minister Samagra Gramya Unnayan Yojana (CMSGUY) to bring about paradigm shift towards holistic development of villages in the state.
The scheme is a mega mission aimed at bringing in revolutionary changes by doubling the farm income in the State. As per Situation Assessment Survey (period from 2002-03 to 2012-13), the farm income in Assam was recorded only 0.88% as against national average of 5.2%.
About Samagra Gramya Unnayan Yojana
- The scheme has financial outlay of Rs. 30,000 crore and will be implemented in all the villages in Assam in the next five years culminating in 2021-22.
- It will be implemented through ‘saturation model’ by covering each revenue village through focused interventions in direct economic activities, logistic support including market linkages, and community support.
- It will put in concerted efforts in a time bound manner to stimulate rural productivity by facilitating massive investments in rural areas for complete rural transformation in a period of 5 years.
- Under the scheme, five teams will be constituted in each block to work as a catalyst to implement different missions of the programme. These teams will prepare development plans to be implemented in each village.
- Under it, scheme village knowledge centre will be set up in each village and by bringing in synergy between it and MGNREGA, playground will be built in each village.