Assam Current Affairs - 2020
Acclaimed filmmaker Adoor Gopalakrishnan on 29 March 2015 was honoured with Bishwaratna Dr Bhupen Hazarika International Solidarity Award.
He was presented the award by Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi at the function held at Guwahati, Assam.
About Adoor Gopalakrishnan
- Gopalakrishnan is regarded as one of the finest filmmakers of India.
- As a film director, producer and script writer he had played a major role in revolutionizing Malayalam cinema.
- Adoor’s debut film was Swayamvaram (1972) which had pioneered the new wave of cinema movement in Kerala.
- For his contribution to film industry, he has won 16 National Film Awards, 17 Kerala State Film Awards and several international film awards.
- Adoor is also honoured with Padma Shri (1984) and the Padma Vibhushan (2006). In 2004, he was awarded with Dadasaheb Phalke Award- highest cinema award of India.
About Bishwaratna Dr Bhupen Hazarika International Solidarity Award
- It is a biennial award instituted in 2013 and named in the memory of the cultural doyen Dr Bhupen Hazarika.
- The award carries a memento, citation, collection of books and cheque of 5 lakh rupees.
- The award was instituted by the Asam Sahitya Sabha and sponsored by the Numaligarh Refinery Limited (NRL).
The first recipient of this award was eminent research scholar and dance exponent Lubna Marium from Bangladesh.
Tags: Assam • awards • Filmmaker • Kerala
As per the latest census, the Great Indian one-horned Rhinoceros population in Assam’s Kaziranga National Park (KNP) – world heritage site has increased to over 2401.
The census was conducted by Assam’s forest department in association with several wildlife NGOs as a regular exercise in the park for four days from 24 to 28 March 2015.
Entire Park was divided into 81 blocks for the purpose of census and the whole exercise involved about 200 people.
Key highlights of census
- The census has counted 2,401 rhinos in the park in indicating that their population has increased by 71 rhinos the past two years.
- About 1,651 adult rhinos were counted in the census followed by 294 sub adult rhinos.
- 251 juvenile rhinos in the park were estimated followed by 205 calves.
- It should be noted that Rhino census is conducted every three years. The last census was carried out in 2012. It had confirmed 2,290 rhinos in the park.
- However, a special census of the rhinos was conducted in 2013 by Assam Government. The special census had confirmed 2,329 rhinos in the park.
- It was conducted after the poaching incidents had increased in the park and large numbers of rhinos were poached.