Assamese Current Affairs - 2020
On December 23, 2019, the Assam Cabinet nodded to make Assamese language the state language of Assam. This will exclude BTAD (Bodoland Territorial Administrative Districts), Barak Valley and Hill districts of Assam.
The cabinet has also suggested that Assamese will be made compulsory in all schools of Assam. The move comes in the wake of rising insecurities among Assamese population in the state. After the passing of Citizenship Amendment Bill, there has been an increased wave of insecurity in the Brahmaputra Valley.
In order make the move successful, the Central Government will now have to amend Article 345. If amended the article will remove fears of people fighting for their rights to culture and language in the region.
Currently Assamese and Bodo are the official languages in Assam. However, certain districts of Assam in Barak valley use Bengali as official language
Article 345 says that subject to provisions of Article 346 and 347, the state legislature might adopt one or more languages to be used as official languages.
- Article 346 states that the states are authorized to decide on the language of communications amongst them and with the centre. However, such a language should have been authorized by the centre
- Article 347 provides special provisions to language spoken to a section of a population. The President if satisfied shall assent on usage of the language.
The factor of amendment comes in as the Assam Government intends to exclude a section of the state which is against the current constitutional provisions.
Tags: Assam • Assamese • Bodoland Territorial Area Districts • citizenship amendment bill • Constitution
My Circle App was launched by Bharti Airtel in collaboration with FICCI Ladies Organisation (FLO). My Circle app aims to help women in case they face any problem or a panic situation.
My Circle App
- My Circle app enables women to send SOS alerts to any five of their family or friends in 13 languages including English, Hindi, Tamil, Telugu, Malayalam, Kannada, Marathi, Punjabi, Bengali, Urdu, Assamese, Oriya, and Gujarati.
- A woman in distress can send an SOS alert by pressing the SOS prompt on the app.
- The SOS alert can also be activated by voice command through Siri on iOS and the statement by Airtel has stated that he voice activation through Google Assistant will soon be available on Android devices also.
- the SOS alert will send the user’s location over SMS to the five contacts selected by the user and advise them to immediately reach out or respond to the emergency situation.
- The app also enables the family or friends to track the location on real time through the link that is sent as part of the alert SM
- The free-to-download app is available on Google Play store (Android) and will be available on the App Store (iOS) soon.
My Circle App is carrier agnostic which would work on phones with any telecom service network, both Airtel and non-Airtel.