Association of South East Asian Nations Current Affairs - 2020
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Defense Minister on November 14, 2019 addressed at the 11th Maitree Diwas in Tawang, Arunachal Pradesh. During his address, he announced several new plans of the government to develop the region
Government new plans
- Government plans to set up a North East Industrial Corridor. It will help create job opportunities for the people in the North East
- The Arunachal Corridor, in specific will act as a bridge between India and South East Asia
- The corridor will help boost employment opportunities and promote trade and tourism
- Government is implementing the “Act East Policy” through development of North East India
- Hollongi Airport is to be set up near Itanagar. Also, three major strategic railway lines are to be established
- Government plans all weather connectivity to the local population. The connectivity will also facilitate the movement of armed forces.
- The plans are to be executed by 2024.
Maitree Diwas is a 2-day socio-military cultural program that is jointly organized by Tawang Civil Administration and Indian Army. The program is organized to celebrate special relationship between the people of Tawang and the Indian army. This year, the theme was
Theme: Know your army.
The objective of the event is to encourage the youths to join armed forces
Tags: Act East Forum • Act East Policy • Arunachal Pradesh • Association of South East Asian Nations • Indian Army
Union Minister of Defence, Rajnath Singh co-chaired the Japan–India Defence Ministerial Meeting with Defence Minister of Japan Takeshi lwaya in Tokyo, Japan. The dialogue discussed various issues of mutual concern which includes ways to further strengthen existing bilateral co-operative arrangements and adopt new initiatives towards achieving peace and security in region.
Key Highlights of Meet
Indo-Pacific vision at length with an expression of India’s preference for a rules-based order along with centrality of Association of South East Asian Nations (ASEAN).
The importance of Special Strategic and Global Partnership (SSGP) between India and Japan in addressing regional peace, security and stability was also highlighted.
Two Ministers discussed emerging regional security scenario as well as inclusiveness and security for all.
Defence Minister Rajnath Singh invited participation of Japanese companies and other stakeholders at biennial DefExpo 2020 to be held in Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh.
India and Japan will continue to work together to further deepen defence ties between both nations.
General understanding about more co-operation is required in Defence Equipment and Technology Co-operation.
Tags: Association of South East Asian Nations • Defence Minister of Japan • India-Japan • Rajnath singh • Special Strategic and Global Partnership