Atma Ram Nadkarni Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC) has appointed Senior advocate of Bombay High Court Atma Ram Nadkarni as Additional Solicitor General.
He will have tenure of three years and an order in this regard was issued by Department of Personnel and Training (DoPT).
Earlier he had served as Advocate General (highest law officer of the state) of Goa.
About Additional Solicitor General
- An Additional Solicitor General acts as law officer to advice the Union government on various legal matters. He is third ranking lawyer of the Union Government.
- Solicitor General and Additional Solicitor Generals mainly assist the Union Government’s top legal adviser Attorney General (highest law officer of the country).
- It should be noted that office and duties of Attorney General is created by the Constitution under the Article 76.
- While, Solicitor General and Additional Solicitor Generals’ office and duties are governed by Law Officers (Conditions of Service) Rules, 1987 and not by the Constitution.
Duties Additional Solicitor General
- Give advice to Union Government upon such legal matters and to perform other duties of a legal character from time to time that are referred or assigned to him
- Appear whenever required in the Supreme Court or in any High Court on behalf of the Union Government in cases in it is concerned as a party or is otherwise interested.
- Represent the Union Government in any reference made by the President to the Supreme Court under Article 143 (Advisory Jurisdiction) of the Constitution
- Discharge other functions that are conferred on a Law Officer by the Constitution or any other Law for the time being in force.