Australia Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
South America’s governing body of football CONMEBOL has invited Australia and Qatar to take part in 2020 COPA America. COPA 2020 will be co-hosted by Argentina and Colombia. The final of Copa 2020 will be played in one match and in one host city.
The Copa America is contested between national teams from South America and usually features 12 teams but CONMEBOL only has 10 members which means that there is often pair of invitees to tournament. Qatar and Japan are guest teams at Copa 2019 scheduled to be held in Brazil. Qatar which is 2019 AFC Asian Cup champions and 2022 FIFA World Cup host will be making their Copa America debut at 2019’s edition of tournament. It will be Australia’s third time participation at Copa.
About Copa America Football
It is international football competition is played between men’s national football teams of South American Football Confederation (CONMEBOL). Since 1990s, tournament also sees the participation from Asia and North America. It was established in 1916 and is the oldest international continental football competition.
The Quadrilateral Security Dialogue also known as Quad is an informal strategic grouping consisting of India, US, Australia and Japan recently met in Bangkok in Thailand.
Key Highlights of Meet
- The meet in Bangkok was attended by senior officials of Quad (India, US, Japan and Australia).
- At the meet countries held consultations on their collective efforts for a free, open and inclusive Indo-Pacific region. The consultations also underscored Quad’s intention of continuing with close coordination and collaboration among themselves in support of sustainable, private sector-led development, maritime security of the region and of good governance.
- The Quad (or QSD) is committed to preserving and promoting the rules-based order in the Indo-Pacific region. At this meet they reaffirmed their shared commitment.
- The Quad call for an open Indo-Pacific region (which is a biogeographic region) is because China has been trying to expand its military presence in the Indo-Pacific.
- China claims almost all of the South China Sea (SCS) even though other countries of same region viz. Vietnam, Philippines, Malaysia, Brunei and Taiwan have also countered China’s claims over it.