Avinash Chander Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Former DRDO Director-General (DG) Dr Avinash Chander has been awarded prestigious Aryabhata Award of Astronautical Society of India.
He was bestowed with this award in recognition for his contribution to missile technology.
He was presented with this award from Dr R Chidambaram, Principal Scientific Adviser to Union Government, and Dr A S Kiran Kumar, Chairman ISRO.
About Avinash Chander
- Avinash Chander was the chief architect of India’s strategic Agni series of ballistic missile systems and famously is known as Agni man of India.
- Range of India’s Agni missiles were developed under his technology forecast, perspective planning and relentless efforts. He steered the first three missions of the Agni 5 missile.
- He had joined DRDO after completing graduation in Electrical Engineering from IIT Delhi in 1972 and retired in 2015 after completion of 42 years of distinguished service.
- He had served as DG of DRDO from 2013 to 2015. He also had served as Scientific Adviser to the Union Defence Minister.
- Awards: He was awarded Padma Shri, AGNI Self-Reliance Award (1999), Dr. Biren Roy Space Science Award (2000), DRDO Award (2007), DRDO Technology Leadership Award, (2008).
Union Government has sacked chief of Defence Research and Development Organization (DRDO) Avinash Chander, 16 months before his contract end.
Termination of his contract was approved by Appointments Committee of Cabinet (ACC) headed by Prime Minister Narendra Modi with effect from 31 January 2015.
He was appointed as DRDO chief in June 2013. He was to retire on 30 November 2014, but government had extended his tenure beyond his retirement on contract basis.
About Avinash Chander
- In 1972, he had joined DRDO after completing graduation in Electrical Engineering from IIT Delhi. He is a fellow of the Indian National Academy of Engineers.
- He is the chief architect of Agni series of ballistic missile systems and considered as Agni man of India.
- India’s range of Agni missiles were developed missiles under his technology forecast, perspective planning and relentless efforts.
- Awards: He was awarded Padma Shri for his contribution in the successful development of 5000-km range Agni-V missile.