Award Current Affairs - 2020
Prime Minister Narendra Modi is set to receive an award from Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation for one of his ambitious projects- Swachh Bharat Abhiyaan (SBA). This award will be conferred to him during his visit to United States in late September 2019.
About Swachh Bharat Abhiyaan
Swachh Bharat Mission was launched by PM Modi in 2014, to improve the overall cleanliness in the country and eliminate open defecation nationwide in five years.
Its components include construction of household toilets, community and public toilets and solid waste management (SWM).
The mission has two thrusts-
(1) Swachh Bharat Abhiyan (rural): It operates under Union Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation
(2) Swachh Bharat Abhiyan (urban): It operates under Union Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs.
About Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation
It is a private foundation founded by Bill Gates and Melinda Gates.
It was launched in 2000 and is based in Seattle, Washington.
It is reported to be largest private foundation in world, holding $50.7 billion in assets.
Tags: Award • Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation • Prime Minister Narendra Modi • Swachh Bharat Abhiyan
The Union Government has announced to confer the Prime Minister’s Shram Awards 2017 to 40 workers across country. These awardees have been selected among the workers of Departmental Undertakings & Central and State Government PSUs and Private Sector companies having 500 or more workers.
About Prime Minister Shram Awards 2017:
- This year, no one was awarded the prestigious Shram Ratna Award.
- Three nominations were chosen for the Shram Bhushan Award which carries a cash prize of Rs. 1,00,000/- and a ‘Sanad’. Smt. Myneni Sharada from BEL, Shri B.B.V. Prasada Rao from Naval Dockyard and Sh. Sudip Pachhal from Tata Steels have been selected under this category.
- Twelve nominations were selected for the Shram Vir/Shram Veerangana which carries a cash prize of Rs. 60,000/- and a ‘Sanad’.
- Sixteen nominations have conferred the Shram Shree/Shram Devi Awards which carries a cash prize of Rs. 40,000/- and a ‘Sanad’.
- 23 awardees are from the public sector and 17 awardees from the private sector.
The Prime Minister Shram Awards seeks to recognise the distinguished performances and innovative abilities shown by the workers. Also, these awards honour their outstanding contribution in the field of productivity and exhibition of exceptional courage and presence of mind.