AYUSH word Current Affairs
Commission for Scientific and Technical Terminology (CSTT) adopted word ‘AYUSH’ in Hindi and English languages for scientific and technical purposes. The decision follows a proposal from Ministry of AYUSH in this regards. AYUSH word has become popular as acronym for five traditional and complementary systems of medicine, namely Ayurveda, Yoga & Naturopathy, Unani, Siddha and Homoeopathy.
CSTT approved ‘ayush’ word with meaning “Traditional and Non-Conventional Systems of Health Care and Healing which include Ayurveda, Yoga, Naturopathy, Unani, Siddha, Sowa Rigpa, Homoeopathy etc”. Now the word will be officially used in all Government communications. Following this recognition, ayush word is expected to gain currency in popular usage in a short span of time.
Significance of Recognition
The usage of Ayushh word in Hindi and English will underline essential unity of all holistic systems of tradition healing in India. It will also strength to efforts of the Ministry of AYUSH to develop integrated solutions to manage the public health challenges of country.
It will also give boost to India’s efforts to find place for Indian Systems of Healthcare in International Classification of Diseases (ICD) of World Health Organization (WHO). It will lead to their international acceptance, increased rigor of research in them and their over-all development.
Commission for Scientific and Technical Terminology (CSTT)
CSTT was established in December 1960 by Government of India resolution under provision Article 344(4) of Constitution with objective of evolving and defining scientific and technical terms in Hindi and all Indian languages. It also coordinates with all states to ensure uniformity of scientific terminology in Hindi and other Indian languages. It is headquartered in New Delhi.
Functions of CSTT
- Preparation and Publication of bilingual and trilingual glossaries involving English and Hindi and other Indian Languages.
- Identification of pan Indian terms. Preparation and publication of national terminology.
- Identification and publication of School Level Terminology and Departmental Glossaries. Preparation of Definitional Dictionaries and Encyclopaedias.
- Preparation of University level textbooks, monographs and journals. Grant-in-Aid to grant academies, textbook boards and university cells for University level books in regional languages.
- Propagation, expansion and critical review of terms coined and defined through training and orientation programmes, workshops, seminars etc.
- Providing necessary terminology to National Translation Mission.