Azerbaijan Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Sergey Karjakin of Russia has won 2015 World Cup Chess Championship held at Baku, Azerbaijan.
In the final match he defeated Peter Svidler (Russia) by 6-4 score. The title of this championship was decided in the tie-breakers after both competitors had won two classical games each.
About Sergey Karjakin
- He is Ukrainian-born Russian chess grandmaster and chess prodigy.
- He holds the record for being world’s youngest Chess Grandmaster at the age young of 12 years and 7 months.
- Karjakin has won the World Rapid Chess Championship (2012), twice Norway Chess Tournament (2013, 2014) and Corus Chess Tournament (2009).
Tags: Azerbaijan • Chess • Current Affairs 2016 • Russia • Sergey Karjakin
World champion Magnus Carlsen of Norway on 26 April 2015 won the Shamkir Chess tournament held in Azerbaijan.
In the ninth and final round, he defeated Rauf Mamedov of Azerbaijan in 35 moves and scored seven points.
Former world champion Viswanathan Anand finished second in this tournament after he drew against Fabiano Caruana of Italy.
With this win, Magnus Carlsen took his rating to 2875 points and Viswanathan Anand entered the 2800 rating club to gain number two in world ranking.
About Shamkir Chess tournament
- Shamkir Chess tournament is played Shamkir in Azerbaijan and also known as the Gashimov Memorial.
- It was established in 2014 and is played in the honour of Vugar Gashimov (1986-2014).
- The total prize fund for the tournament is 100,000 euros and held in a double round robin format.