Badminton Current Affairs - 2020
On April 22, 2020, the World champion P V Sindhu was named the ambassador of the campaign “I am Badminton”. The campaign was launched by Badminton World Federation (BWF).
About the Campaign
The campaign provides platform for the badminton players to advocate and commit to honest and clean play. It also helps the players to express their love and respect for the game.
Apart from P V Sindhu, there are other ambassadors. They are Michelle Li of Canada, Huang Ya Qiong and Zheng Si Wei of China, Valeska Knoblauch of Germany, Chan Ho Yuen of Hong Kong.
P V Sindhu
P V Sindhu is an Indian professional badminton player. She rose to world rank 2 in 2017. Miss Sindhu is the first Indian to become Badminton World Champion.
Badminton World Federation
The Badminton World Federation is an international governing body of the badminton sport. It was founded by 1934 and has been recognized by the International Olympic Committee. This means one can enter Olympics through games of BWF as well.
Tags: Ambassador • Ambassadors • Badminton • Badminton World Federation • campaign
The Badminton World Federation (BWF) has launched two new formats of badminton game namely, AirBadminton and Triples. In contrast to traditional competitive badminton which is an indoor game the Airbadminton is an outdoor game.
- Badminton World Federation is badminton’s highest governing body.
- For long outdoor badminton has been one of India’s favourite recreational sports. Much like India, globally the amateur participation in outdoor games is 40% more than those undergoing structured training on expensive indoor wooden courts.
- Significance: Both have a potential of providing an alternate career to retired badminton professionals.
- Importance: For people interested in AirBadminton infrastructure won’t be a hindrance as it can be played in different environments like on sands in beaches, grass in parks and even on streets and by lanes.
- It was globally launched at Guangzhou in China by Badminton World Federation (BWF). It has new dimensions of court and an innovative outdoor shuttlecock called AirShuttle.
- AirBadminton is designed to be played on hard, grass and sand surfaces such as that in playgrounds, gardens, parks, streets, and beaches. The aim is that AirShuttle could be used in winds up to 12 kmph.
- The outdoor format will be played barefoot on an approved surface like sand and on courts of smaller dimensions.
- In Triples format, badminton match will be played between a team of total three players. Each team will mandatory have at least one female athlete. Also, players are not allowed to hit returns successively.