Bangladesh Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
The researchers of University of Gothenburg in Sweden have developed a potential Diarrhea vaccine candidate, named as ‘ETVAX’. This vaccine has been proved safe and effective in an early-stage clinical trial in Bangladesh. The findings were published in Science journal, The Lancet.
Enterotoxigenic E. coli (ETEC) bacteria are primary cause of diarrhea. At present there is no ETEC vaccine available on the market for use in children in the ETEC high-risk areas. But now, an oral ETEC vaccine candidate, named ‘ETVAX’, was developed at University of Gothenburg in collaboration with Scandinavian Biopharma, Stockholm. ETVAX consists of inactivated E. coli bacteria expressing high levels of protective antigens as well as ETEC-based B subunit protein LCTBA.
The report stated that 80% to 100% of children aged 2 to 5 years and 50% to 80% of infants aged 6 to 11 months, selected for the study responded to all key immunity generating components of vaccine. The vaccine has been proved safe and effective in an early-stage clinical trial in Bangladesh against enterotoxigenic E. coli diarrhea in children from half year (6 months) to 5 years of age.
Diarrhea leads to substantial illness and death in children in low- and middle-income countries (LMICs). As per the researchers, there is no vaccine yet for use for children and vaccine development for Diarrhea is a World Health Organization (WHO) priority.
Tags: Bangladesh • Diarrhea Vaccine • e.coli • ETEC Bacteria • ETVAX
On November 18, 2019, the “2019 Open Doors Report on International Educational Exchange” was released. According to the report, India remained the largest source of foreign students to the US for the 10th consecutive year. This year alone, India has sent around 202,000 students to the US. It is the second largest number of foreign students from a country to the US. The first largest source is China.
Key Findings of the Report
- In 2019, the total number of international students in the US are 1,095,299. The number has raised by 0.05% as compared to 2018.
- International students account to 5.5% of US higher education population. Of this, India and China alone accounts to more than 50%
- The other countries where majority of the students come from include South Korea (52,250), Saudi Arabia (37,080) and Canada (26,122).
- The number of students from countries like Pakistan, Bangladesh, Nigeria and Brazil have increased as compared to the previous years.
- For the US students, European countries are the popular destinations for their higher studies. Around 54.9% of US students choose Europe as their higher education destinies.