Barack Obama Current Affairs - 2020
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
US President Donald Trump invoked the Defence Production Act recently. The act has been invoked in order to direct General Motors, a Multinational Corporation to manufacture ventilators needed to fight COVID-19.
The act was enacted in 1950 in response to Korean War. Under the act, President Truman established defence mobilization and also imposed price controls and regulated heavy industries.
In 2011, President Obama invoked the law to force the telecommunications industries to provide information related to the use of foreign-manufactured hardware and software in the networks of the companies.
Three Major Sections of the act
- The act authorizes the president of the United States to make or even force a business to accept and prioritize contracts that are essential for defence of the country.
- It authorizes the President to frame regulations, order to allocate services, materials and facilities that will promote defence of the country.
- It also authorizes the President to force industries to expand production, impose price controls and control consumers to allocate raw materials to fulfill the needs of the country.
Tags: Barack Obama • Cold War • Corona Virus • COVID-19 • Donald Trump
The USA’s House of Representatives (lower house of US) Speaker Nancy Pelosi was honoured with 2019 John F Kennedy Profile in Courage Award.
- About Pelosi: She has served in House of Representatives since 1987. She was recognized for putting national interest above her party’s interest, for her efforts to pass former President Barack Obama’s 2010 health care law (Obama Care) and also for helping Democrats reclaim control of U.S. House during 2018 elections.
- The award was presented at John F. Kennedy Presidential Library and Museum in Boston.
- Previous Honorees: former Presidents Barack Obama, Gerald Ford and prominent lawmakers Rep. John Lewis and late Sen. John McCain.
About John F. Kennedy Profile in Courage Award
- It is an annual award that was created in 1989 by members of President J.F. Kennedy’s family. It seeks to honor J.F. Kennedy and to recognize and celebrate quality of political courage which he admired most.
- The award recognizes a public official (or officials) at local, federal or state level whose actions speaks of qualities of politically courageous leadership. It is given in spirit of ‘Profiles in Courage’, which was President Kennedy’s 1957 Pulitzer Prize-winning book.
Note: John F Kennedy was the 35th president of United States. His served from January 1961 till his assassination in November 1963.
Tags: Barack Obama • Gerald Ford • JFK Profile in Courage Award 2019 • John F. Kennedy Profile in Courage Award • Nancy Pelosi