Beijing Declaration and Platform for Action 1995 Current Affairs - 2020
The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) recently released the Gender Social Norms Index. It measures the social beliefs that obstruct Gender Equality.
Key Findings of the Report
The report consists of data collected from more than 75 countries covering 80% of world population. According to the report, half of the world population believe that men are better political leaders. It also says that more than 40% of the world population believe that men have more rights to get a job when jobs are scarce. Today, only 24% of parliamentary seats are held by women.
According to UNDP previous reports, Gender Inequality Rank (2018) was 122. As per 2015 UNDP report, the MMR (Maternal Mortality Ratio) was 174 per 1 lakh live births.
This year 2020, marks 25th anniversary of Beijing Declaration and Platform for Action. It was signed in Beijing during the fourth World Conference on Women in 1995. Therefore, the UNDP is calling the member countries to actively participate in events and take actions in promoting Gender Equality.
Tags: Beijing Declaration and Platform for Action 1995 • Gender Equality • MMR • United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) • world conference of women
Tijjani Muhammad-Bande, Nigeria’s Ambassador to the United Nations (UN) was elected as President of 74th session of the UN General Assembly (UNGA).
- Muhammad-Bande, was nominated by Nigeria and endorsed by African group, at the election.
- The 193-member UNGA then elected him by acclamation with also supporting his candidature. During an informal interactive dialogue with the Nigerian envoy in May 2019, India described Bande as a great friend and a well-known son of Africa.
- His election was in accordance with the rules of UNGA, that 74th session of General Assembly should be elected from among African States.
- He will succeed Maria Fernanda Espinosa as President of next General Assembly session that will commence in September 2019.
- His appointment comes at the time when world body gets ready to celebrate 75th anniversary of its establishment in 2020.
- Address and Commitment: While addressing the 193-member General Assembly he reaffirmed that during his term he will try and hasten long-delayed reform process of 15-nation UN organ, UN Security Council (UNSC) which made little progress after Inter-Governmental Negotiations (IGN) a decade ago.
- He also assured that major properties of his presidency will be implementation of existing mandates and 2030 Agenda with particular focus on peace and security, poverty eradication, zero hunger, quality education, climate action and inclusion
Under his presidentship, UNGA 74th session will see several high-level meetings including- high-level Political Forum, high-level events on Universal Health Coverage (UHC), Financing for Development, Secretary-General’s Climate Summit, and commemoration of Beijing+25 (25 year since Beijing Declaration and Platform for Action 1995 was adopted).