Bharat Ratna Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
The Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu K Palaniswami has unveiled MGR Centenary Arch on Kamaraj Salai of Chennai.
MGR Centenary Arch
- The MGR Centenary Arch has been built at an estimated cost of 2.52 crore, from the state Secretariat.
- The Centenary Arch 66 feet wide and 52 feet height was proposed to commemorate the birth centenary of the late chief minister MG Ramachandran.
- The division bench of Madras High Court had passed an interim order restraining the state government from inaugurating the arch, off the famous Marina beach, till disposal of public interest litigation petition opposing it last year.
- The Madras High Court had permitted the Tamil Nadu government to unveil the arch but without any ceremony.
Why the Centenary Arch was challenged?
- It was alleged that the arch was constructed by encroaching on arterial Kamarajar Salai and its pedestrian space meant for public use was in total violation of various legislations.
- The Tamil Nadu Highways Act does not permit any permanent structure can be constructed either on the middle or the pathway of a road.
DR M G Ramachandran
DR M G Ramachandran popularly known as M. G. R is an actor, filmmaker and politician who served as the Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu for ten years between 1977 and 1987. He has been also honoured with the Bharat Ratna.
The 2019 Bharat Ratna award has been bestowed upon former President Pranab Mukherjee, Nanaji Deshmukh and singer Bhupen Hazarika. Nanaji Deshmukh and singer Bhupen Hazarika were awarded Bharat Ratna posthumously.
Pranab Mukherjee served as the 13th President of India from 2012 until 2017. A veteran congressman, Pranab Mukherjee had held various key portfolios like Finance, Defence and External Affairs as Union Minister. He is the outstanding statesman of the present time.
Pranab Mukherjee was born in a Bengali family. Pranab Mukherjee earned an MA degree in Political Science and History and LL.B. from the University of Calcutta. He has also served as a professor of Political Science at Vidyanagar College in West Bengal. Before entering Politics, he was working as a journalist with ‘Desher Dak’.
Nanaji Deshmukh laid great emphasis on education as a social worker. The first Saraswati Shishu Mandir was established by him at Gorakhpur in 1950. He was a member of RSS and also served as general secretary of Bharatiya Jana Sangh.
Nanaji Deshmukh took part in Jai Prakash Narayan movement during the Emergency. He got elected as a member of Lok Sabha from Balrampur in 1977. He has also served as a nominated member of Rajya Sabha. Nanaji was awarded Padma Vibhushan in 1999.
Bhupen Hazarika was a playback singer, lyricist, musician, singer, poet and film-maker from Assam, widely known as Sudhakantha. He mainly wrote and sang in the Assamese language. His works were marked by humanity and universal brotherhood and have been translated and sung in many languages. He also served as a channel to introduce the culture and folk music of Assam and Northeast India to Hindi cinema at the national level.