Bharatiya Janta Party (BJP) Current Affairs - 2020
On March 18, 2020, for the first time in its history, the Supreme Court removed the Manipur Minister Thounaojam Shyamkumar Singh from the state cabinet. The apex court has also been restrained him from entering the Legislative assembly.
What is the issue?
Mr Shyamkumar won the 2017 assembly elections on Congress Ticket and switched over to BJP to become the minister of Town Planning, forest and Environment. Disqualification petitions were filed against him to the speaker by the other MLAs. The Disqualification petitions against the minister was pending before the speaker of the Manipur Assembly since 2017. However, no action has still been taken. When the issue was appealed to SC, the apex court has invoked Article 142 and has removed the minister from the cabinet.
The SC also said that the speaker is to act as a tribunal in cases of disqualification petition under the tenth schedule.
According to the Article 212, the courts in India including Supreme Court cannot interfere in the proceedings of the Legislature of state. No members, officers of the state are subjected to jurisdiction while exercising his duties or regulating procedures, maintaining order.
This has been over ruled by SC in this matter invoking Article 142. This is because, the matter was left unsolved. Also, under Anti-Defection law, the winning members cannot shift parties. Such members according to the law are considered disqualified.
The Supreme Court under the article 142 can pass an order doing “complete justice” to matter pending before it.
Tags: anti-defection law • Article 142 • Bharatiya Janta Party (BJP) • Congress • Disqualification of MLA
The Bharatiya Janta Party (BJP) leader Pema Khandu was sworn-in as the new Chief Minister of Arunachal Pradesh.
- Pema Khandu was sworn in as the first Chief Minister of an elected Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) government in Arunachal Pradesh.
- In chronology he is the 10th Chief Minister of Arunachal Pradesh.
- Oath Ceremony: The oath oath of office and secrecy was administered by A.P’s Governor Brigadier (Retd.) B.D. Mishra. Apart from Mr Khandu, Chown Mein who took Deputy Chief Minister designation and 10 others as ministers oath was also undertaken.
- For the first time formal installation ceremony was held in Itanagar’s landmark convention centre, named after his father Dorjee Khandu instead of Raj Bhavan where his predecessors were sworn in.
- The ceremony was ateended by chief ministers of five north-eastern States namely, Assam, Nagaland, Manipur, Tripura and Meghalaya.
About Pema Khandu
- He pitchforked into politics after the death of his father in a helicopter crash in April 2011. His father, Dorjee Khandu was the fifth CM of Arunachal Pradesh.
- After his father’s death he was made the State’s Water Resources Development and Tourism Minister in a Congress government. Then in June 2011 he won the by-election to the Mukto Assembly seat that is still synonymous with his father’s name.
- In July 2016, the State’s political uncertainty made Mr. Khandu a surer leader when he took over from Nabam Tuki as the then Chief Minister of a Congress government.