Bhawana Kanth Current Affairs - 2020
The Indian Air Force’s (IAF) Flight Lieutenant Mohana Singh became first ever woman pilot to fly by day on Hawk advanced jet aircraft.
About Fight Lt. Mohana Singh
- To achieve this mile stone of being fully operational on the Hawk Jets she completed an exhausting 4 Aircraft combat sortie (a combat mission of an individual aircraft) and landed at Air Force station, Kalaikunda , West Bengal, which was the last syllabus sortie. She achieved this feat after rigorous training involving Air-to-Ground and Air-to-Air combat missions.
- Achievements: She has a total 500 hours of incident-free flying out of which 380 hours are on Hawk Mk 132 jet. She has participated in various Air Force level flying exercises and has undertaken many practice missions including firing of guns, rockets and dropping high calibre bombs.
In June 2016 three women officers including Mohana Singh, Bhawana Kanth and Avani Chaturvadi became first batch of women pilots to join fighter stream of Indian Air Force (IAF). Later in early May 2019 Flight Lt Bhawana Kanth also had created history by becoming first daytime woman fighter pilot to fly a MiG-21 Bison.
Tags: Avani Chaturvadi • Bhawana Kanth • First Woman Pilot to fly Hawk Jet • Flight Lieutenant Mohana Singh • Indian Air Force
Flight Lieutenant Bhawana Kanth scripted history by becoming first woman pilot of Indian Air Force (IAF) to qualify to undertake combat missions on a fighter jet.
About Bhawana Kanth
- She is from the first batch of women fighter pilots of the IAF and joined the fighter squadron in November 2017.
- For the first time she flew solo in a MiG-21 Bison, in March 2018 and became second woman pilot of the Indian Air Force to fly solo. The 25-year-old flew from Ambala Air Force Station to achieve the feat.
- In order to be declared ‘Operational by Day’, a pilot has to complete their syllabus which announces them as fit to fly and undertake day operations.
- She has now completed Operational by Day syllabus for carrying out combat missions on Mig-21 Bison aircraft during day time and thus became first qualified woman IAF fighter pilot to undertake missions by day on fighter aircraft. She will soon be allowed to carry out night operations once her training for night missions completes.
- Within a year of government decision to open fighter stream for women on an experimental basis, three women namely Avani Chaturvedi, Mohana Singh and Kanth were commissioned as flying officers in July 2016.
- The IAF has already selected next batch of its three women trainee pilots for fighter stream.