Biotech-KISAN Current Affairs - 2020
The Union Ministry of Science and Technology has launched two new schemes Biotech-KISAN and Cattle Genomics in order to apply science to boost rural economy.
The intent of these programmes is to form a network to farmers directly with the scientists and experts. Thus they seek to empower farmers, especially women farmers.
Biotech-KISAN (Krishi Innovation Science Application Network) Scheme
- Its purpose is to connect farmers, scientist and science institution across country. Under it, fellowship will be given to women farmers for training and education in farm practice.
- Under it scientists will spend time on farms and link communication tools to soil, water seed and market.
- The main aim of the scheme is to understand individual problems of the small holding farmers and provide ready solutions.
- It will be implemented in 15 agro-climatic zones of India in phased manner with objective of linking new technology to farm by understanding problem of local farmer.
Cattle Genomics Scheme
- The scheme aims at boosting selective breeding of the native livestock more accurately to ensure high-yielding, disease-resistant, resilient livestock.
- Under it, government will undertake an ambitious project of genome sequencing of 40 registered indigenous cattle breeds of India.
- Besides, a high-density DNA chips will be developed under this scheme to reduce the cost and time interval of breeding of the native livestock.
- Genome selection will use information on variations in DNA sequences between animals to predict the breeding value more accurately. Thus, help to transform livestock breeding.
Tags: Agriculture • Biotech-KISAN • Cattle Genomics • Government Schemes • National