BJP Current Affairs - 2020
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
The ruling party (BJP) member of Rajya Sabha Shri Rakesh Sinha has issued a notice to the Chairman to permit to move a resolution. The resolution aims to drop the word “Socialist” in the Constitution.
The resolution claims that the world socialism is redundant in the current scenario. It has to be dropped to create space for economic thinking. The Preamble of Constitution declares India to be sovereign, secular, socialist and democratic republic.
The resolution claims that word was included without enough debate in the Parliament as it was introduced during emergency.
42nd amendment of the Constitution
The words “Socialist” and “Secular” were included in the 42nd amendment of the Constitution. The amendment was passed during the emergency period. The amendment attempted to reduce the powers of Supreme Court. It laid down fundamental duties of Indian Citizens. The amendment brought in several changes for it was addressed as “Mini-constitution”.
The amendment gave Parliament powers amend the constitution without judicial review. IT also changed the preamble of the constitution. The description of India in the preamble as “Sovereign Democratic Republic” was changed to “Sovereign Socialist Secular Democratic Republic”. It also changed “unity of the nation” to “unity and integrity of the nation”.
Can Preamble be amended?
However, till 1973, the Supreme Court also held that Preamble shall not be amended as it is not a part of the Constitution.
In 1973, Keshvananda Bharti Case, the Supreme Court pronounced that Preamble is a part of the Constitution and Parliament has full rights to amend the Preamble.
Tags: BJP • constitutional amendment • Democracy • Emergency • Indira Gandhi
Bhupesh Baghel, who is also the president of Chhattisgarh Pradesh Congress Committee, will be the new chief minister of Chhattisgarh state. Bhupesh Baghel has been named as the leader of the Congress Legislature Party (CLP) by the newly elected legislators in Raipur on 16th December 2018.
About Bhupesh Baghel:
- Bhupesh Baghel is a politician from Chhattisgarh and belongs to Indian National Congress.
- He is set to become the third chief minister of Chhattisgarh after the INC won the majority of seats in Assembly elections held in November 2018.
- The assembly constituency of Bhupesh Baghel is Patan in District Durg
2018 Assembly Elections in Chhattisgarh:
- The Chhattisgarh Legislative Assembly elections in 2018 took place to elect members of the Vidhan Sabha (Legislative Assembly) of Chhattisgarh. The elections in Chhattisgarh were held in two phases: the first phase of elections for 18 seats in South Chhattisgarh was held on 12 November 2018 and the second phase of elections for the remaining 72 took place on 20 November 2018
- The elections were held for a total of 90 Assembly seats.
- The Indian National Congress won 68 seats out of 90 seats winning the majority to form the government.
- The Bharatiya Janata Party could win only 15 seats.
- The Incumbent Chief Minister of Chhattisgarh Sh. Raman Singh resigned from his post on 11th December 2018
Baghel will be sworn in as the chief minister of Chhattisgarh by Governor Anandiben Patel in a ceremony in the state capital Raipur on 17th December 2018.
Tags: Bhupesh Baghel • BJP • Chhattisgarh • Elections