Border Management Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh inaugurated the BOLD-QIT Surveillance along Dhubri district in Assam on the India Bangladesh border.
- BOLD-QIT stands for Border electronically dominated quick response team interception technique.
- BOLD-QIT Surveillance is part of the Integrated Border Management System (CIBMS).
- BOLD-QIT together with help the Border Security Force (BSF) in curbing all types of cross border crimes it will also provide respite to the troops from round the clock human surveillance.
- BOLD-QIT project involves the data network generated by microwave communication along with other paraphernalia, day and night surveillance cameras, and intrusion detection system.
- These modern gadgets under BOLD-QIT provide feeds to the BSF control rooms on the border and enable BSF Quick Reaction Teams to thwart any possibility of illegal cross border crossing and crimes.
Why the Dhubri Sector along the India-Bangladesh border is critical?
It is in the region of the Dhubri Sector the river Brahmaputra enters into Bangladesh. This region comprises of vast char lands and innumerable river channels. This geography of the region makes the border guarding in the area a daunting task, especially during the rainy season.
Hence the technological intervention along with the physical presence of BSF was envisaged to thwart any possibility of illegal cross border crossing and crimes. BOLD-QIT Surveillance makes the border management system more robust.
Tags: Assam • BOLD-QIT • Border Management • Border Security Force • BSF
The cross-border infiltration and illegal immigration are posing serious security threats to both internal and external security. The government has undertaken following steps to arrest the cross-border infiltration:
- Multipronged approach to check infiltration by patrolling; sharing of intelligence and conduct of joint operations; erection of border fencing; installation of border floodlights; use of watercrafts/boats and floating Border Out Posts (BOPs) for domination of riverine area of the border; liaison with police, intelligence agencies, local government agencies; laying nakas; establishment of observation posts have been undertaken.
- Surveillance equipment like Night Vision Devices (NVDs); Hand Held Thermal Imagers (HHTIs); Long Range Recce Observation Systems (LORROS), etc have been deployed for effective technical surveillance.
- Mobile Vehicle Check Posts (MVCPs), Area Domination Patrols (ADPs), short and long-range patrols along the border are being launched on regular basis.
- Review of vulnerability mapping of BOPs from the point of infiltration is carried out.
- Based on threat perception and security requirements, the fencing/ floodlighting has been erected along India-Pakistan and India Bangladesh borders.
- The constructions of border roads are expedited keeping in view the administrative and operational requirements of the Border guarding forces.
Even then due to hostile, mountainous terrain and porous nature of the border incidents of the infiltrations are still reported.