BPL Current Affairs
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
IIT Kharagpur researchers devise decision support system (DCS) to help maximise LPG connections in BPL households
Researchers from IIT Kharagpur have devised decision support system (DCS) to help maximise LPG connections in BPL (below poverty line) households under Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana. It is a first of its kind for analysis of national level energy policy. This kind of DSS can be developed for various central and state level policies for various commodities like agricultural commodities, solar panels distributions and so on.
Decision support system (DSS)
It is computer programme that helps in making sound rational decisions using mathematical programming and operation research techniques. It can provide exact values of important parameters over prescribed policy time period, which in turn will help to take important measures to ascertain proper functioning (monitoring) of policy towards the desired goal. It uses mixed integer linear programming to mathematically formulate policy using input parameters, decision variables and their relationships. This mathematical model has found optimum number of total BPL connections required in region, number of dealerships that need to be commissioned in region over policy time frame. The sensitivity analysis with this mathematical model can easily change in decision variable with respect to change in a parameter. With this, it is easy to predict not only how the number of household connections that can be increased but also the critical region that contributes most in each zone of LPG distribution.
The Union Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment has launched Rashtriya Vayoshri Yojana in Nellore District of Andhra Pradesh.
The Scheme aims at providing physical aids and assisted-living devices for senior citizens belonging to Below Poverty Line (BPL) category.
Key Provisions of the Scheme
- The scheme will be distribute free of cost physical aids and assisted-living devices for senior citizens belonging to BPL category in Camp mode.
- It is the first-of-its-kind Central Sector Scheme (CCS) in India, to be fully funded by the Union Government.
- It is expected to benefit 5,20,000 Senior Citizens and its expenditure implementation will be met from the “Senior Citizens’ Welfare Fund“.
- Implementing Agency: Artificial Limbs Manufacturing Corporation (ALIMCO), a PSU under Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment. It will also undertake one year free maintenance of the devices.
- Aids and Assisted-Living Devices to be provided under it: The eligible elderly beneficiary will get walking sticks, elbow crutches, walkers/crutches, tripods/qadpods, hearing aids, wheelchair, aificial Dentures and Spectacles depending upon their physical impairment.
- Purpose: The assisted-living devices will help the Senior Citizens to overcome their age related physical impairment and to lead a dignified and productive life with minimal dependence on care givers or other members of the family.
- Identification of beneficiaries: It will be done by the State Governments/UTs through a Committee chaired by the Deputy Commissioner/District Collector. 30% of the beneficiaries in each district shall be women.
- The Committee can utilize the data of BPL beneficiaries receiving Old Age Pension under the NSAP or any other Scheme of the State/UTs for identification of senior citizens belonging to BPL category.
In the Union Budget 2015-16, Union Finance Minister Arun Jaitley had proposed formulation of a scheme for providing Physical Aids and Assisted-Living Devices to senior citizens belonging to BPL Category. Pursuant to this, “Rashtriya Vayoshri Yojana” has been formulated. As per the Census figures of 2011, population of senior citizens in India is 10.38 crore. More than 70% of the population of senior citizens live in rural areas of the country. A sizeable percentage (5.2%) of the senior citizens suffers from some sort of disabilities related to old age.