BrahMos Aerospace Limited Current Affairs - 2020
The DRDO (Defence Research and Development Organization) test fired the supersonic Cruise missile Brahmos successfully from Odisha’s Chandipur on December 17, 2019. The medium range missile is capable of being launched from warships, submarines, land or fighter jets.
The missile was test fired from the autonomous launcher of the Integrated Test Range at Chandipur. The missile is operational with Indian Navy, Army and Air Force. The missile has gained its importance in modern warfare for its anti-ship capabilities and land-attack capabilities.
Brahmos is a joint venture between DRDO of India and NPOM of Russia. It features Indian propulsion system, power supply, airframe and power supply. The rest of the technology was transferred to India. After India entered into MTCR (Missile Technology Control Regime) India extended the range of BRAHMOS missile to 600 km. It is also one of the fastest cruise missiles that operates at the speed of 2.8 Mach, which is three times the speed of sound.
Recent Brahmos tests
The GoI in 2019 has tested Brahmos in more than three scenarios. In May 2019, DRDO test fired Brahmos by launching it in the air from Su-30MKI aircraft. Later the eastern command unit test-fired Brahmos from Car Nicobar islands. In August 2019, the Defence Acquisition Council cleared the next generation maritime mobile coastal batteries (NGMMCB) to be fitted with surface-to-surface supersonic Brahmos missiles. The NGMMCB was developed by joint venture of India and Russia, the Brahmos Aerospace Private Limited. In September 2019, DRDO conducted the Brahmos full range test of 290 km in Chandipur, Odisha.
Philippines to sign Brahmos deal with India in 2020
On December 16, 2019, Philippines confirmed that signing contract with India for medium range Brahmos Cruise Missiles. The agreement will be signed in 2020. When PM Modi visited Philippines, he signed 4 agreements on defence cooperation. Philippines is interested in acquiring the missile as it will strengthen its coastal defence operations.
Tags: BrahMos • BrahMos Aerospace Limited • BrahMos Air Launched Missile • BrahMos Cruise Missile • BrahMos Missile Test Fired
The Anti-ship version of supersonic cruise missile BrahMos was test fired from the launch complex-3 of Integrated Test Range (ITR) at Chandipur in Odisha.
About BrahMos Missile
- The name BrahMos is formed from names of two rivers i.e. Indian river Brahmaputra and the Moskva River of Russia.
- Manufacturer: The missile is manufactured at BrahMos Aerospace Limited which is a joint venture between India’s Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) and Russia’s NPO Mashinostroyenia (NPOM).
- Strategic Importance: The supersonic cruise missile is a strategic asset for India as in case of any possible threats from China and Pakistan it would act as deterrence against them.
- Deployed: It has been operationalised in Indian Army, Indian Air Force (IAF) and Indian Navy.
- Features: It is often described as the world’s fastest supersonic cruise missile. It is highly versatile thus can be fired from land, sea and air with a high rate of precision and accuracy. In modern-day complex battlefields, Brahmos has established itself as a major force multiplier with its impeccable land-attack, anti-ship capabilities along with a high rate of precision and accuracy. It also has multi-role and multi-platform abilities.
- Range: The medium-range ramjet supersonic cruise missile has a strike range of about 290 km.