BrahMos Air Launched Missile Current Affairs - 2020
The DRDO (Defence Research and Development Organization) test fired the supersonic Cruise missile Brahmos successfully from Odisha’s Chandipur on December 17, 2019. The medium range missile is capable of being launched from warships, submarines, land or fighter jets.
The missile was test fired from the autonomous launcher of the Integrated Test Range at Chandipur. The missile is operational with Indian Navy, Army and Air Force. The missile has gained its importance in modern warfare for its anti-ship capabilities and land-attack capabilities.
Brahmos is a joint venture between DRDO of India and NPOM of Russia. It features Indian propulsion system, power supply, airframe and power supply. The rest of the technology was transferred to India. After India entered into MTCR (Missile Technology Control Regime) India extended the range of BRAHMOS missile to 600 km. It is also one of the fastest cruise missiles that operates at the speed of 2.8 Mach, which is three times the speed of sound.
Recent Brahmos tests
The GoI in 2019 has tested Brahmos in more than three scenarios. In May 2019, DRDO test fired Brahmos by launching it in the air from Su-30MKI aircraft. Later the eastern command unit test-fired Brahmos from Car Nicobar islands. In August 2019, the Defence Acquisition Council cleared the next generation maritime mobile coastal batteries (NGMMCB) to be fitted with surface-to-surface supersonic Brahmos missiles. The NGMMCB was developed by joint venture of India and Russia, the Brahmos Aerospace Private Limited. In September 2019, DRDO conducted the Brahmos full range test of 290 km in Chandipur, Odisha.
Philippines to sign Brahmos deal with India in 2020
On December 16, 2019, Philippines confirmed that signing contract with India for medium range Brahmos Cruise Missiles. The agreement will be signed in 2020. When PM Modi visited Philippines, he signed 4 agreements on defence cooperation. Philippines is interested in acquiring the missile as it will strengthen its coastal defence operations.
Tags: BrahMos • BrahMos Aerospace Limited • BrahMos Air Launched Missile • BrahMos Cruise Missile • BrahMos Missile Test Fired
The Indian Air Force (IAF) successfully fired aerial version of supersonic BrahMos cruise missile from a Su-30 MKI fighter aircraft.
- About: The IAF successfully fired BrahMos Air Launched Missile from its frontline Su-30 MKI fighter aircraft.
- Background: Earlier on 22 November 2017, the IAF became World’s first Air Force to successfully fire an air launched 2.8 Mach surface attack missile of this category on a sea target. Since then this was the second such live launch of weapon.
- Result: The launch from Su-30 MKI aircraft was smooth and missile followed desired calculated trajectory before directly hitting land target.
- Safety: The firing was successfully undertaken with dedicated support from Indian Navy which ensured that large number of monitoring ship are available for ensuring range safety clearance.
- Significance: The capability of BrahMos missile coupled with superlative performance of Su-30MKI aircraft gives IAF its desired strategic reach.
- Complex Process: The integration of missile weapon on aircraft was a very complex process which involved electrical, mechanical and software modifications on aircraft. The IAF engineers undertook software development of aircraft and Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) carried out mechanical and electrical modifications on aircraft.
- Others involved: The dedicated and synergetic efforts of IAF, Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) and BrahMos Aerospace Pvt. Ltd. (BAPL) proved the nation’s capability of undertaking such complex integrations.
About BrahMos Air Launched Missile
- It is a 2.5 ton supersonic air to surface cruise missile. It range is close to 300 km, and is designed and developed by BrahMos Aerospace Pvt. Ltd. (BAPL).
- The BrahMos missile provides IAF a much desired capability of striking on any target at sea or on land from large stand-off ranges with pinpoint accuracy by day or night and that too in all weather conditions.