BrahMos Cruise Missile Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
The Indian Army’s Eastern Command Unit successfully test-fired a BrahMos supersonic cruise missile from Car Nicobar Islands on 22 May 2019.
- Background: On same day of BrahMos supersonic cruise missile test firing, Indian Air Force (IAF) had also successfully tested aerial launched version of the BrahMos missile from a Sukhoi-30 combat aircraft.
- Coordination: The test firing of BrahMos Supersonic Cruise Missile involved coordination between large number of agencies for successful and smooth conduct of firing. It was a cohesive effort of all three defence services India namely, Indian Army, Indian Navy and Indian Air Force (IAF). Thus the launch of BrahMos missile demonstrated high standards of Inter Service Synergy.
- Significance: The combat missile was test fired on a specially designed target chosen at a range of 270 Kms. This precision hitting of target validated deep penetration capability of supersonic cruise missile and accurate engagement of targets in depth.
- Importance: With its impeccable multi role and multi platform launch capabilities, BrahMos missile has now established itself as a major ‘Force Multiplier‘ in modern day battlefield thus furthering confidence amongst our troops
About BrahMos Cruise Missile
- It is a joint collaboration product of India and Russia.
- It is 2.5 tonne air-to-surface cruise missile with range of around 300 km.
- It will significantly enhance IAF’s combat capability.
- It travels at a speed of Mach 2.8, (nearly three times that of sound).
The Indian Air Force (IAF) successfully fired aerial version of supersonic BrahMos cruise missile from a Su-30 MKI fighter aircraft.
- About: The IAF successfully fired BrahMos Air Launched Missile from its frontline Su-30 MKI fighter aircraft.
- Background: Earlier on 22 November 2017, the IAF became World’s first Air Force to successfully fire an air launched 2.8 Mach surface attack missile of this category on a sea target. Since then this was the second such live launch of weapon.
- Result: The launch from Su-30 MKI aircraft was smooth and missile followed desired calculated trajectory before directly hitting land target.
- Safety: The firing was successfully undertaken with dedicated support from Indian Navy which ensured that large number of monitoring ship are available for ensuring range safety clearance.
- Significance: The capability of BrahMos missile coupled with superlative performance of Su-30MKI aircraft gives IAF its desired strategic reach.
- Complex Process: The integration of missile weapon on aircraft was a very complex process which involved electrical, mechanical and software modifications on aircraft. The IAF engineers undertook software development of aircraft and Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) carried out mechanical and electrical modifications on aircraft.
- Others involved: The dedicated and synergetic efforts of IAF, Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) and BrahMos Aerospace Pvt. Ltd. (BAPL) proved the nation’s capability of undertaking such complex integrations.
About BrahMos Air Launched Missile
- It is a 2.5 ton supersonic air to surface cruise missile. It range is close to 300 km, and is designed and developed by BrahMos Aerospace Pvt. Ltd. (BAPL).
- The BrahMos missile provides IAF a much desired capability of striking on any target at sea or on land from large stand-off ranges with pinpoint accuracy by day or night and that too in all weather conditions.
Tags: BrahMos Aerospace Pvt. Ltd. (BAPL) • BrahMos Air Launched Missile • BrahMos Cruise Missile • BrahMos missile • Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) • Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) • IAF • Indian Air Force • Su-30 Mki • Su-30 MKI Fighter Aircraft