BrahMos missile Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
The Anti-ship version of supersonic cruise missile BrahMos was test fired from the launch complex-3 of Integrated Test Range (ITR) at Chandipur in Odisha.
About BrahMos Missile
- The name BrahMos is formed from names of two rivers i.e. Indian river Brahmaputra and the Moskva River of Russia.
- Manufacturer: The missile is manufactured at BrahMos Aerospace Limited which is a joint venture between India’s Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) and Russia’s NPO Mashinostroyenia (NPOM).
- Strategic Importance: The supersonic cruise missile is a strategic asset for India as in case of any possible threats from China and Pakistan it would act as deterrence against them.
- Deployed: It has been operationalised in Indian Army, Indian Air Force (IAF) and Indian Navy.
- Features: It is often described as the world’s fastest supersonic cruise missile. It is highly versatile thus can be fired from land, sea and air with a high rate of precision and accuracy. In modern-day complex battlefields, Brahmos has established itself as a major force multiplier with its impeccable land-attack, anti-ship capabilities along with a high rate of precision and accuracy. It also has multi-role and multi-platform abilities.
- Range: The medium-range ramjet supersonic cruise missile has a strike range of about 290 km.
Tags: Brahmaputra • BrahMos Aerospace Limited • BrahMos missile • BrahMos Missile Test Fired • Defence Research and Development Organisation • DRDO • Indian Air Force • Indian Army • Indian Navy • Integrated Test Range • Major Force Multiplier • Moskva River • NPO Mashinostroyenia • NPOM • World’s fastest supersonic cruise missile
The Indian Air Force (IAF) successfully fired aerial version of supersonic BrahMos cruise missile from a Su-30 MKI fighter aircraft.
- About: The IAF successfully fired BrahMos Air Launched Missile from its frontline Su-30 MKI fighter aircraft.
- Background: Earlier on 22 November 2017, the IAF became World’s first Air Force to successfully fire an air launched 2.8 Mach surface attack missile of this category on a sea target. Since then this was the second such live launch of weapon.
- Result: The launch from Su-30 MKI aircraft was smooth and missile followed desired calculated trajectory before directly hitting land target.
- Safety: The firing was successfully undertaken with dedicated support from Indian Navy which ensured that large number of monitoring ship are available for ensuring range safety clearance.
- Significance: The capability of BrahMos missile coupled with superlative performance of Su-30MKI aircraft gives IAF its desired strategic reach.
- Complex Process: The integration of missile weapon on aircraft was a very complex process which involved electrical, mechanical and software modifications on aircraft. The IAF engineers undertook software development of aircraft and Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) carried out mechanical and electrical modifications on aircraft.
- Others involved: The dedicated and synergetic efforts of IAF, Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) and BrahMos Aerospace Pvt. Ltd. (BAPL) proved the nation’s capability of undertaking such complex integrations.
About BrahMos Air Launched Missile
- It is a 2.5 ton supersonic air to surface cruise missile. It range is close to 300 km, and is designed and developed by BrahMos Aerospace Pvt. Ltd. (BAPL).
- The BrahMos missile provides IAF a much desired capability of striking on any target at sea or on land from large stand-off ranges with pinpoint accuracy by day or night and that too in all weather conditions.
Tags: BrahMos Aerospace Pvt. Ltd. (BAPL) • BrahMos Air Launched Missile • BrahMos Cruise Missile • BrahMos missile • Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) • Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) • IAF • Indian Air Force • Su-30 Mki • Su-30 MKI Fighter Aircraft