BrahMos missile Current Affairs - 2020
Brahmos missile is considered as one of the fastest supersonic missiles. Philippines army is acquiring Indian-manufactured weapon in order to strengthen its coastal defences. In 2018, Indian PM Modi signed 4 bilateral agreements during his visit to Philippines, and acquiring Brahmos is one among them.
- The acquisition proves that India’s Act East Policy is being strengthened.
- India’s bilateral relation with the South Asian Countries and also with Philippines has diversified
- It will also help achieve India’s defence exports target of Rs 35,000 crore in the next 5 years.
The Brahmos is a medium range cruise missile that can be launched from submarine, aircraft, ships and land. It is the fastest supersonic missile in the world. The design of the missile was a joint venture between Russian federation and India’s DRDO. The name of Brahmos is formed from the names of two rivers Brahmaputra in India and Moskva in Russia.
In 2016, India became a part of Missile Technology Control Regime after which India and Russia are now planning to develop a new generation of Brahmos missile with a target range of 500-km.
Tags: Act East Policy • BrahMos • BrahMos missile • Defence Research & Development Organisation (DRDO) • India-Philippines
The Anti-ship version of supersonic cruise missile BrahMos was test fired from the launch complex-3 of Integrated Test Range (ITR) at Chandipur in Odisha.
About BrahMos Missile
- The name BrahMos is formed from names of two rivers i.e. Indian river Brahmaputra and the Moskva River of Russia.
- Manufacturer: The missile is manufactured at BrahMos Aerospace Limited which is a joint venture between India’s Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) and Russia’s NPO Mashinostroyenia (NPOM).
- Strategic Importance: The supersonic cruise missile is a strategic asset for India as in case of any possible threats from China and Pakistan it would act as deterrence against them.
- Deployed: It has been operationalised in Indian Army, Indian Air Force (IAF) and Indian Navy.
- Features: It is often described as the world’s fastest supersonic cruise missile. It is highly versatile thus can be fired from land, sea and air with a high rate of precision and accuracy. In modern-day complex battlefields, Brahmos has established itself as a major force multiplier with its impeccable land-attack, anti-ship capabilities along with a high rate of precision and accuracy. It also has multi-role and multi-platform abilities.
- Range: The medium-range ramjet supersonic cruise missile has a strike range of about 290 km.