Budget Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
The Transparency International conducted a survey to analyse the best practices followed by the states in the Budget Formulation.
About the Survey
The survey was based on 4 parameters which include public disclosure, budgetary process, post-budget fiscal management and efforts to make the budget more transparent and citizen-friendly. The findings of the survey are:
- The top slot in the survey was occupied by Assam.
- Assam was followed by Andhra Pradesh and Odisha in the ranking of best practices followed by states in the Budget formulation.
- Meghalaya, Manipur and Punjab figured in the bottom list.
- The report notes that Assam is the only state out of the 29 states and 2 UTs, which has published a Citizens Budget in the public domain.
- Also, the government of Assam is the only government that has conducted budget awareness campaigns across 17 districts.
Transparency International is an international non-governmental organization based in Berlin, Germany. Founded in 1993 by a group of individuals who decided to take up a stance against corruption, today from villages in rural India to the corridors of power in Brussels, Transparency International gives voice to the victims and witnesses of corruption. The Corruption Perception Index of Transparency International is the most widely used indicator of corruption worldwide.
The Kerala State budget 2017-18 was presented by the State Finance Minister Dr Thomas Isaac. It was is the first full-fledged budget of the present Left Democratic front (LDF) government.
In the Budget speech the minister held that the Centre’s demonetization move has affected all sectors of life and will cause economic slump. It also mentioned that state is prepared to introduce Goods and Services Tax.
- Various social welfare measures were announced. Over one lakh homeless people to get houses under budgetary provisions.
- Medicines for treatment of lifestyle diseases such as blood pressure, diabetes and cholesterol will be free at primary health centres.
- Health data register having the health details of all the citizens was proposed. Autism parks will be set up in all districts of the state.
- Proposed to spend Rs 150 crore on water conservation projects in the wake of state facing its worst drought season.
- Internet facility will be made a right of citizens. Basic free internet services will be provided to 20 lakh poor families. For this digital connectivity will be boosted.
- High priority was given to the development, security and rehabilitation of the women. Rs 68 crore was announced for women protection.
- Separate women battalion, police stations will be there in state and public registry of the sex offenders will be created, which will be first of its kind.
- For achieving target Clean Kerala, Suchitwa Mission was allocated Rs. 127 crore. Efforts will be made to completely end manual scavenging. Rs 10 crore allocated for mechanization of sewage maintenance.
- Rs 100 crore wass allotted for clean crematoriums with focus on clean streets. 3 crore trees are to be planted in a span of three years. Rs 50 crore allotted for scientific landfills.