Bulgaria Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
The medal winners for India at the Dan Kovlov 2019 wrestling event is listed below:
- Bajrang Punia won gold in the Men’s freestyle wrestling 65kg category.
- Pooja Dhanda claimed gold in the Women’s 59kg category.
- Sakshi Malik claimed silver medal in the Women’s 65kg category.
- Sandeep Tomar claimed silver medal in the Men’s 61kg category.
- Vinesh Phogat claimed silver medal in the Women’s 53kg
The Wrestling event was being held at Ruse, Bulgaria.
The Wrestling event is named after wrestling legend Doncho Kolеv Danev better known by the ring name Dan Kolov. Dan Kolov was a Bulgarian wrestler and he was the first European freestyle wrestling champion from Bulgaria.
Dan Kovlov had between 1,500 and 2,000 fights and won almost all of them and he has registered only three losses in official matches.
Tags: Bajrang Punia • Bulgaria • Dan Kovlov • Dan Kovlov 2019 • Doncho Kolеv Danev
Following Russia’s annexation of Ukraine’s Crimea region, NATO suspended all practical civilian and military co-operation with Russia. Russia’s annexation is being considered as a threat to European security.
The 28-member NATO bloc gathered in Brussels (Belgium) for their first meeting since Russia’s annexation of Crimea and stalwartly condemned Russia’s ‘illegal’ annexation of Ukraine’s Crimea region. NATO is also considering options like situating permanent military bases in the Baltic States, to restore confidence amongst the members in Eastern Europe.
Why NATO is suspending civilian and military co-operation with Russia?
Russia’s annexation of Ukraine’s Crimea region was being considered the solemnest hazard to European security for quite sometime. Russia’s of Ukraine’s Crimea region has now fazed nerves in Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania, which were a part of the Soviet Union during the Cold War. The Baltic States which were a part of Soviet Union like Ukraine, whose Crimean territory was recently annexed by Russia, also fear an annexation in future.
The map below shows the position of Ukraine, Crimea region, Russia and Baltic States (Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania) in RED.
North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO)
Also called the (North) Atlantic Alliance, is an intergovernmental military alliance based on the North Atlantic Treaty (signed on 4 April 1949). The organization comprises a system of collective defence through which its member states accord to mutual defense in response to an attack by any external threat.
- Formation: April 4, 1949
- Type: Military alliance
- Headquarters: Brussels, Belgium
- Membership: 28 states
- Members: Albania, Belgium, Bulgaria, Canada, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Turkey, UK, USA
Baltic States or countries are 3 northern European countries east of the Baltic Sea – Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania, which attained independence from the Russian Empire in the backwash of World War I. In the period between the World Wars, the Baltic States also included Finland.
- Membership: Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania