Cabinet Approval Current Affairs - 2020
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
On February 19, 2020, the Union Cabinet approved to set a technology group. The 12-member group will provide scientific advice on mapping of technologies, commercialization of dual use technologies and develop a road map on selected key technologies.
The group will provide three major pillars of support namely Policy support, research and development proposals and procurement support.
Functions of the group
The group will help the GoI in achieving the following
- To render advice on technology procurement strategy
- To develop in-house expertise in developing merging technologies
- To make sure the public sector technologies developed are sustainable.
Why was the group constituted?
The Group has been constituted as the GoI faced the following challenges
- There was no mapping of technologies and their uses spread across the country
- The Researches were not aligned to technology development
- The dual use of technologies was not commercialized
- The standards of technologies were not fixed. This led to sub-optimal industrial development
- Silo-centric approaches to the development of technologies are being adopted
The Group will help in addressing these issues.
Tags: Cabinet Approval • Industrial Development • Policy • Technology Development • Technology Services
On February 19, 2020, the Union Cabinet approved the 22nd Law Commission of India. The commission has been approved for a period of three years.
The 22nd Law Commission will consist of a full time Chairperson. It has four full time members. Also, secretaries from Department of Legal Affairs and Legislative department.
Law Commission of India
It is a non-statutory body that is constituted by the GoI from time to time. It was constituted in 1955 for the first time. Since then it has been reconstituted for every 3 years. So far, the Law Commission of India has submitted 277 reports.
The Law Commission will make recommendations based on the aspects of laws entrusted upon it. It will undertake research works and suggest reforms that are essential to enact new legislations.
The functions and objectives of the Law Commission are as follows
- To identify laws that shall be repealed immediately
- To examine the current laws in force and suggest ways to improve them
- To respond to requests made by other countries in framing their legal system
- To make measures that shall help to serve the poor legally
- To revise laws to simplify them.
Tags: Cabinet Approval • Law Commission • Law Commission of India • Union Cabinet • Union Cabinet Decisions