Canada Current Affairs - 2020
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Senior bureaucrat Shefali Juneja was appointed as representative of India (JS Level) in council of International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO), Montreal, Canada.
About Shefali Juneja
She is a 1992 batch officer of Indian Revenue Service (Income Tax cadre) and is currently serving as the Joint Secretary in Ministry of Civil Aviation (MCA).
She has been appointed to Representative of India post in the council of ICAO, Montreal, Canada. Her tenure as a representative will for a period of three years.
She will replace senior IAS officer Alok Shekhar who was selected for this post in October 2015.
About International Civil Aviation Organisation
It is a specialized agency of United Nations, charged with coordinating and regulating international air travel.
Background: ICAO was established in 1944 by Convention on International Civil Aviation (Chicago Convention). It is headquartered in Quartier International of Montreal, Quebec, Canada.
Objective: To manage administration and governance of Chicago Convention.
It works with Member States (193) and several industry groups, towards reaching a consensus on international civil aviation Standards accepted globally and Recommended Practices (SARPs) and policies.
ICAO Member States use these SARPs and policies, to ensure that their local civil aviation operations and regulations conform to global norms and also to support safe, efficient, economically sustainable and environmentally responsible civil aviation sector.
ICAO Council: It is composed of 36 member states, who are elected for a 3 year term.
Council’s member states are chosen under three headings-
- States of chief importance in air transport
- States which make largest contribution to provision of facilities for air navigation
- States whose designation will ensure that all major areas of world are represented in the council
Tags: Alok Shekhar • Canada • Chicago Convention • Convention on International Civil Aviation • ICAO
Britain’s Lewis Hamilton of Mercedes won Formula One Canadian Grand Prix 2019 at the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. This was Hamilton’s seventh win on the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve and now made him equalled Michael Schumacher’s record.
- Lewis Hamilton was followed by Ferrari drivers Sebastian Vettel of Germany in 2nd place and Charles Leclerc of Monaco in 3rd place.
- Hamilton emerged victorious after a controversial penalty made by Sebastian Vettel gifted him a milestone win.
- Penalty: Sebastian Vettel made an error on the limit and went off track on lap 48 of circuit, running across grass before rejoining and forcing off Mercedes’ Lewis Hamilton, who later emerged championship leader and eventual winner. For this he was hit with a 5-second penalty which ultimately led to his loss.
- The next Grand Prix, is scheduled to be run in France on June 23 at the Le Castellet raceway. It will be 8th of the 21 that make up world circuit of 2019 FIA Formula One World Championship.
About 2019 Canadian Grand Prix
It is a Formula One motor race held at Circuit Gilles Villeneuve in Montreal, Canada. It was 7th round of 2019 FIA Formula One World Championship.