CBFC Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
The Union Information and Broadcasting Ministry has appointed Prasoon Joshi as the new Chairman of Central Board of Film Certification (CBFC). He will replace Pahlaj Nihalani and shall have tenure of three years.
Besides, the ministry by exercising its powers conferred by sub-section (1) of section 3 of the Cinematograph Act, 1952 and the Cinematograph (Certification) Rules, 1983 also reconstituted the existing CBFC Board for a period of three years or until further orders, whichever is earlier. The new board will be headed by Prasoon Joshi.
Prasoon Joshi is renowned songwriter-poet known for his contribution to various films and for designing successful ad campaigns. He has been honoured with Padma Shri. He has penned the theme song for Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s Swachh Bharat Abhiyan and other campaigns.
About Central Board of Film Certification (CBFC)
The CBFC also known as “Censor Board” is a statutory body under Union Ministry of Information and Broadcasting. It grants certificate to regulate the public exhibition of films in India under the provisions of the Cinematograph Act 1952.
The mandate of CBFC is to promote recreation, education, good and healthy entertainment to public according to the provisions of the Cinematograph Act, 1952, and Cinematograph (Certification) Rules, 1983. Films can be publicly exhibited in India only after they are certified by the CBFC.
The CBFC board is headed by central government appointed chairperson and 12-45 non-official members. The members are eminent persons from social science, education, law, arts or films background appointed. Its headquarters are in Mumbai, Maharashtra.
The Union Information and Broadcasting Ministry has launched the e-Cinepramaan, an online film certification system of the Central Board of Film Certification (CBFC).
This initiative was launched on the lines of Union Government’s vision of ease-of-doing business and digital India, to make the entire process transparent and efficient.
Its objective is to eliminate the need for human interface to the extent possible and enable good governance by automating film certification process.
Features of e-Cinepramaan
- The system will show status of each application online in the dashboard of the producer and concerned CBFC official.
- Producers of short films/promos/trailers less than 10 minutes can submit their creations online for examination purposes without need to not visit CBFC Office/Theatre.
- In case of films longer than 10 minutes, the producer/applicant will only have to show the film at the Examining theatre. He will not have to visit the CBFC Offices at all except to collect their certificates.
- The producer/applicant will be informed status of their application by SMS/e-mail. It will also inform any action needed and provide receipt of application to the certificate collection.
- It will bring transparency in the system by eliminating middle men. It will mitigate chances of any corruption and avoid allegations of jumping the queue or rigging up of Examination committees.
- Under it, QR code on the certificates will be implemented to eliminate chances of fraudulent certificates.
- The system also envisages a robust MIS system for performance tracking and efficient reporting. It has inbuilt alerts depending on the pendency of application to ensure that time limits prescribed by the Rules.
- It will be an important step in making the CBFC office paperless and will enable effective monitoring and real-time progress tracking for both the CBFC officials and the applicants.