Census 2021 Current Affairs - 2020
The GoI had planned to conduct Census 2021 in two phases. The first phase was scheduled between April-September 2020 and the second phase was scheduled in February 2021. Also, the updation of NPR has also been postponed due to the spread of Corona Virus.
National Population Register
The NPR updation was scheduled to be conducted along with Census 2021. It is to be conducted by the office of Registrar General of India operating under Ministry of Home Affairs. Assam was the only state that was to be kept out of the NPR process as updation of the register for the state of Assam was done under National Register of Citizens.
The data for NPR was first collected in 2010 along with Census 2011. The data was further updated in 2015 under a door-to-door survey. The NPR collects biometric and demographic data. The Biometric data is to be updated through Aadhar details. This is the first time NPR is collecting biometric data. Earlier in 2010, only demographic details were collected. Later in 2015, the data was updated with Aadhaar, ration card numbers and mobile numbers.
Tags: Aadhaar • Biometric Data • Census 2021 • Corona Virus • Ministry of Home Affairs
For the first time, the Census will collect data of transgenders headed houses. Also, the census will enquire about “Main cereal”, which is also included for the first time in the history of census of India.
The Census 2021 is to ask 31 questions to the citizens. For the first time of Indian history, the following are to be included
- The information about households run by transgender is to be collected. Under the question of sex of household head, male, female and transgender is to be collected.
- The Census 2021 is to be conducted through mobile phone application
- Inquiry about main cereal consumed
- Earlier it was announced that the census for the first time will collect data on OBC. However, this has not been included. Rather there is provision of SC/ST in the census.
The questions to be asked are decided by the Ministry of Home Affairs. The census is to begin by September 2020
What are the questions asked?
During the Census 2021, the following questions are to be asked to the citizens
- Questions one to five are related to building numbers, floor material of the house, house number, wall and roof of the house, condition of the census house and use of census house
- Questions six and seven are about total number of persons normally residing, household number
- The other questions include caste details, ownership status of the house, access to latrine, LPG connection, smart phone, car, drinking water availability, main source of lighting, type of latrine, waste water outlet, main cereal consumed, etc.
The 2011 census clubbed the employment of transgender, their caste and literacy under “Males” category.