Census Data Current Affairs - 2020
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
For the first time, the Census will collect data of transgenders headed houses. Also, the census will enquire about “Main cereal”, which is also included for the first time in the history of census of India.
The Census 2021 is to ask 31 questions to the citizens. For the first time of Indian history, the following are to be included
- The information about households run by transgender is to be collected. Under the question of sex of household head, male, female and transgender is to be collected.
- The Census 2021 is to be conducted through mobile phone application
- Inquiry about main cereal consumed
- Earlier it was announced that the census for the first time will collect data on OBC. However, this has not been included. Rather there is provision of SC/ST in the census.
The questions to be asked are decided by the Ministry of Home Affairs. The census is to begin by September 2020
What are the questions asked?
During the Census 2021, the following questions are to be asked to the citizens
- Questions one to five are related to building numbers, floor material of the house, house number, wall and roof of the house, condition of the census house and use of census house
- Questions six and seven are about total number of persons normally residing, household number
- The other questions include caste details, ownership status of the house, access to latrine, LPG connection, smart phone, car, drinking water availability, main source of lighting, type of latrine, waste water outlet, main cereal consumed, etc.
The 2011 census clubbed the employment of transgender, their caste and literacy under “Males” category.
Tags: Census 2021 • Census Data • Coarse Cereals • Digital Census • Transgender
The Wildlife Institute of India (WII) is to conduct Asiatic Lion Census in May 2020. The Institute will use 10,000 cameras to conduct the census.
In 2015, the WII counted 523 lions in Gujarat. It is expected that the numbers have risen phenomenally and the population must have crossed 1,000. The census is to adopt the technology of National Tiger Conservation Authority. The entire census area is to be divided in to 3-km grid. Officers will collect hair, nails, teeth, etc. The collection process is to be carried out using scientific methods laid out by NTCA. Around 1,000 to 2,000 officers are to be employed. In the second phase, 10,000 cameras are to be used to capture the lions.
The Asiatic Lions in Gujarat are restricted to Gir National Park in the state. The lions are listed as “Endangered” in the IUCN Red List. Initially the lions were spread from the east of Indus river to West Bengal and also to Narmada river in Central India. However, today they are restricted to Gujarat alone. Asiatic lions belong to the category of Pantherine cats.
The lion is one among the 5 Pantherine Cats inhabiting in India. The other 4 pantherine cats in India are Bengal Tiger, Snow Leopard, Indian Leopard and Clouded Leopard. Under IUCN red list, Bengal Tiger has been listed as Endangered, and the three leopards snow leopard, clouded leopard and Indian leopard have been listed as Vulnerable
Tags: Asiatic Lion • Bengal Tiger' • Census Data • Gir National Park • IUCN Red List