Census Data Current Affairs - 2020
On May 28, 2020, the Delimitation Commission held a meeting to review the progress of directions that were provided during its meet in April, 2020.
The details of State Election Commissioner were received from the states of Manipur, Andhra Pradesh, Union Territory of Jammu and Kashmir and Assam. The Census data has also been received from the Registrar General.
What is Delimitation?
Delimitation is the act of redrawing the boundaries of state assembly and Lok Sabha seats with respect to the changes in population. The main objective of delimitation is to provide equal representatives in the legislative assembly and parliament to equal segments of population.
The Delimitation is conducted by the Delimitation Commission.
The Delimitation Act is brought about by the Parliament after every census under Article 82. The commission is made of Supreme Court Judge, Chief Election Commissioner and also state election commissioners of respective states.
The Delimitation exercise has been done four times. They were implemented in 1952, 1963, 1973 and 2002. The Last delimitation exercise was begun in 2002 and ended in 2008 based on 2001 census.
Why no delimitation in recent past?
The number of Lok Sabha seats allotted to a state is based on the ratio between that number and population of the state. However, under this provision, the states that took less interest in population control ended up having greater representations.
In 1976, during emergency period, the delimitation was suspended till 2001. This was later extended to 2026. Thus, recently no delimitation was carried in recent past.
Tags: Assembly elections • Census Data • Chief Election Commissioner • Delimitation Commission • Election Commissioner
For the first time, the Census will collect data of transgenders headed houses. Also, the census will enquire about “Main cereal”, which is also included for the first time in the history of census of India.
The Census 2021 is to ask 31 questions to the citizens. For the first time of Indian history, the following are to be included
- The information about households run by transgender is to be collected. Under the question of sex of household head, male, female and transgender is to be collected.
- The Census 2021 is to be conducted through mobile phone application
- Inquiry about main cereal consumed
- Earlier it was announced that the census for the first time will collect data on OBC. However, this has not been included. Rather there is provision of SC/ST in the census.
The questions to be asked are decided by the Ministry of Home Affairs. The census is to begin by September 2020
What are the questions asked?
During the Census 2021, the following questions are to be asked to the citizens
- Questions one to five are related to building numbers, floor material of the house, house number, wall and roof of the house, condition of the census house and use of census house
- Questions six and seven are about total number of persons normally residing, household number
- The other questions include caste details, ownership status of the house, access to latrine, LPG connection, smart phone, car, drinking water availability, main source of lighting, type of latrine, waste water outlet, main cereal consumed, etc.
The 2011 census clubbed the employment of transgender, their caste and literacy under “Males” category.