Central America Current Affairs - 2020
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Panama’s Electoral Court declared the centre-left candidate Laurentino Cortizo as winner of Panama’s presidential election. Cortizo is candidate for Panama’s Democratic Revolutionary Party (PRD), which won 33% of 95% of votes counted. The PRD was founded in 1979 by military ruler Omar Torrijos and has been out of power since 2009.
About Laurentino “Nito” Cortizo
- He is a 66-year-old cattleman who was educated in US. He has earlier served as country’s minister of agriculture and also held roles at regional Organisation of American States, and worked in construction and livestock sectors.
- His presidential campaign focused on combating inequality and corruption, rising unemployment, Panama’s education system, state of water utilities and rubbish collection in capital, Panama City and slowing economic growth in this Central America trade and financial hub.
- It is a Central America country located on Isthmus of Panama (narrow bridge of land connecting North and South America).
- It is a tropical nation renowned as site of Panama Canal (which cuts through its midsection and connects Atlantic and Pacific Oceans).
- It lies between Caribbean Sea and Pacific Ocean.
- Its national currency is ‘the balboa’. It is issued only in coins. The balboa is at par with U.S. dollar, and U.S. paper currency is freely circulated.
Tags: balboa • Caribbean Sea • Central America • Isthmus of Panama • Laurentino "Nito" Cortizo
Vice President Venkaiah Naidu was conferred Honorary Doctorate from the UN established University of Peace. The university has stated that the degree of “Doctor Honoris Causa”( Doctor of Philosophy) was conferred on the Indian Vice President recognising his contribution to the Rule of Law, democracy and sustainable development in India.
Shri. Venkaiah Naidu is the first Indian to receive an honorary doctorate from the University of Peace.
University of Peace
The University of Peace was established in accordance with the Resolution 35/55 passed by the United Nations General Assembly in 1980. The main campus of the University of Peace is located in Costa Rica, a country of Central America.
The University of Peace aims to be a forward-thinking, transformational and inspirational educational institution dedicated to the goals of quality teaching, research and service for serving humanity in building a peaceful world.
The stated mission of the University of Peace is to provide humanity with an international institution of higher education for peace and with the aim of promoting, among all human beings, the spirit of understanding, tolerance and peaceful coexistence, to stimulate cooperation among peoples and to help lessen obstacles and threats to world peace and progress, in keeping with the noble aspirations proclaimed in the Charter of the United Nations.