Champions League Current Affairs
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Real Madrid FC won the 2016 UEFA Champions League for the record 11th time by defeating Atletico Madrid FC by 5-3 goals in penalty shootout.
In the final played, both teams scored 1–1 goals in regulation period leading to draw. For the Real Madrid goal was scored by captain Sergio Ramos (15 minutes) and for Atletico Madrid was scored by Yannick Carrasco (79th minutes). In tie-breaker penalty shootout Real Madrid FC scored 5 goals against Atletico Madrid which scored only 3 goals.
Earlier Real Madrid FC had won UEFA Champions League in 1956, 1957, 1958, 1959, 1960, 1966, 1998, 2000, 2002 and 2014.
About UEFA Champions League
- UEFA Champions League (simply known as the Champions League) is an annual continental club football competition organised by the UEFA.
- It is contested by top-division European club and is considered as one of the most prestigious tournaments in the world.
- It is also most prestigious club competition in European football, played by the national league champion and for some nations of each UEFA national association.
Champions League Twenty 20 (CLT20) of Cricket has been scrapped with immediate effect.
Decision in this regard was taken unanimously by Governing Council of CLT20, comprising Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI), Cricket South Africa and Cricket Australia.
CLT20 was scrapped due to lack of interest or poor response of the fans and popularity of the tournament and difficulty in managing it. Its popularity was also poor in respect of other domestic T20 tournaments such as Indian Premier League (IPL), Big Bash League in Australia and South Africa’s Ram Slam T20.
About Champions League Twenty 20
- CLT20 was an international Twenty-20 cricket competition played between major domestic teams from cricketing nations.
- It was established in 2009 and was annual sporting event.
- The League is jointly owned by BCCI, Cricket Australia and Cricket South Africa.
- 2014 edition of the league was won by Chennai Super Kings (CSK).