Chenani Nashri Tunnel Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated Chenani-Nashri Tunnel, country’s longest road tunnel that links Kashmir Valley with Jammu by an all-weather route.
The 9-km-long tunnel passes through the lower Himalayan mountain range on Jammu-Srinagar National Highway 44. It cuts the distance between Jammu and Srinagar to around 250 km from the current 350 km.
- The 9-km long ‘Chenani-Nashri Tunnel has been built at an altitude of 1,200 meters. It is also Asia’s longest bi-directional highway tunnel. It has been built at the cost of Rs. 2,500 crore.
- It is India’s first tunnel equipped with world class Integrated Traffic Control System (ITCS) through which ventilation, signals, fire control, communication and electrical systems are automatically actuated.
- It reduces travel time by three to four hours. The also reduces road distance between Chenani and Nashri to 10.9 km from earlier long route of 41 km.
- The tunnel will provide all-weather road connectivity to the Valley and avoid landslide-prone stretch. It will help to boost the trade and commerce and tourism in the valley.
- It also boasts features like Video Surveillance System, FM Rebroadcast System, Entrance Detection Control System and Active Firefighting System.
- It also features a state-of-the-art ABB ventilation system to ensure that users have access to fresh air as they drive through it.
- The tunnel will provide all-weather road connectivity to the Valley and serve as an alternative to the highway which is closed at the time of snow and rains.
- It will help to boost the trade and commerce and tourism in the valley. It will reduce traffic jams on National Highway-1 A.