Chennai Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
India’s fastest indigenous train, Train 18 named as Vande Bharat Express will ply between Delhi and Varanasi. Train 18 is an indigenously developed world-class train under Make in India. The 16-coach train has been built completely in India by Indian engineers in a span of 18 months at the Integral Coach Factory, Chennai.
Features of the Vande Bharat Express
Vande Bharat Express is the energy efficient and the first locomotive-less train in the country and will be fully air-conditioned. These trains run on electric traction like Metro trains and will start replacing the Shatabdi Express fleet from next year.
The fares in these world-class trains are 40-50 per cent higher than the Shatabdi Express. The train will cover 755 km distance in eight hours with stoppages at Kanpur and Prayagraj. It would be the fastest train on the route.
The new train provides number of features to enhance passenger comfort which include inter-connected fully sealed gangways, automatic doors with retractable footsteps, onboard Wi-Fi and infotainment, GPS-based passenger information system, modular toilets with bio-vacuum systems, rotational seats which can be aligned in the direction of travel (available only in the executive class), roller blinds and diffused LED lighting and disabled-friendly toil.
The Union Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman inaugurated the Tamil Nadu Defence Industrial Corridor. During the inauguration, investments worth over Rs 3,038 crore in this defence corridor were announced. Lockheed Martin, a global security giant, also announced its intention to invest in the corridor.
About the Corridor
The important features about the Tamil Nadu Defence Industrial Corridor are:
- It is also called as Tamil Nadu Defence Production Quad as the nodal cities of Chennai, Hosur, Salem, Coimbatore and Tiruchirappalli form a quadrilateral with one of them at the centre.
- The five nodal cities already have existing defence ecosystem in the form of ordnance factory boards, vendors working with defence PSUs, and other allied industries.
- Together with helping in accelerated growth and regional industry agglomeration, the defence corridor will also facilitate a well-planned and efficient industrial base which will lead to increased defence production in the country and the region.
- The corridor will help the industry to integrate with the global supply chain of Defence manufacturing.
- Tamil Nadu Defence Industrial Corridor would be a specialised facility of aero component manufacturing.
- Tamil Nadu Defence Industrial Corridor is the country’s second defence industrial corridor after the first one was launched in Aligarh, Uttar Pradesh August last year.
Tamil Nadu currently ranks 4th in exports with 9.8% of India’s total exports. The corridor will further expand the exporting opportunities from the state.